Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Hang abouts! If we win our two games in hand on Liverpool we're back in the top four

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    But - other than in a long-term historical sense - it doesn't represent progress, does it? Indeed, over the course of Wenger's career, it represents the reverse. Clinging onto top four 'status' by our fingernails would hardly be a cause for celebration - that's what we were doing a few seasons ago when we were skint.
    Yes, you are right. We have not achieved what we could all progress in recent years. But progress would require us to improve from an already commendable level of achievement and consistency, which is certainly something to celebrate (albeit not with an open top bus parade).

Quote Originally Posted by Luis Anaconda View Post
    You can compare it to something like Coventry's run in the First Division/Premier League. Only Liverpool, Everton and Arsenal played in the top flight for everyone of the 34 seasons that they did. Hugely impressive but basically they were just hanging on for years and when they did go down, they were ****ed
    Yes, I sometimes get a bit sad about poor old Coventry's plight. But then I remember that David Burrows played for them and I get over it.

Quote Originally Posted by The Insider View Post
    I beg to differ! It is acutely relevant to this discussion.

There are five 'major' trophies up for grabs each season: UCL, EPL, FAC, UEL and FLC - in that order of importance.

In the last three years We have won two and so have United, Liverpool and Spuds have won **** all. Only The two mega bucks boys have won more than us and we have also qualified for the UCL each year which only City have have also done. We are definitely not in the halycon days of the early Wenger Years, but it aint that ****!

I agree. The "everything is rubbish" schtick is just Monty being a drama queen. Nobody is saying that at all, not even him.

The discussion is, we want to be better, we are not yet where we want to be; is Wenger still the man to get us there.

Nobody imagined we'd need players from Real Madrid and Barcelona just so we could win a few more FA cups.
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

"But a lot have found it difficult wearing the number 9 shirt for The Arsenal."

Yes, I sometimes get a bit sad about poor old Coventry's plight. But then I remember that David Burrows played for them and I get over it.
    Christ, I had forgotten about David Burrows - what a ****

Quote Originally Posted by Monty92 View Post
    Yes, you are right. We have not achieved what we could all progress in recent years. But progress would require us to improve from an already commendable level of achievement and consistency, which is certainly something to celebrate (albeit not with an open top bus parade).
    But is that not our minimum expectation now? And equally, does that not mean that you are tacitly accepting that, should we fail to achieve it, some very serious questions need to be asked about the management of the team?

But is that not our minimum expectation now? And equally, does that not mean that you are tacitly accepting that, should we fail to achieve it, some very serious questions need to be asked about the management of the team?
    Must we have 'minimum expectations' and 'ask serious questions', though? It all sounds terribly dramatic.

It is, after all, a game.

Quote Originally Posted by Monty92 View Post
    That's an interesting point; perhaps if Wenger had insisted on open-topped bus parades whenever we qualified for the Champions League, we wouldn't be having this discussion.
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

"But a lot have found it difficult wearing the number 9 shirt for The Arsenal."

Quote Originally Posted by Luis Anaconda View Post
    Christ, I had forgotten about David Burrows - what a ****
    I used to have to run a conference at the Ricoh Arena. This took place in what was laughingly called 'The Legends Lounge', which was lined with pictures of Coventry...errr...'greats'. This meant speaking from the lectern, one had a bloody great picture of Burrows in one's line of sight.

I used to have to run a conference at the Ricoh Arena. This took place in what was laughingly called 'The Legends Lounge', which was lined with pictures of Coventry...errr...'greats'. This meant speaking from the lectern, one had a bloody great picture of Burrows in one's line of sight.
    Was there one of Micky Gynn - I liked Micky Gynn. Tiny wee fella. As opposed to Mickey Quinn - fat tosser

Quote Originally Posted by redgunamo View Post
    I sometimes wonder if he can actually do anything else. Obviously I don't wonder about this very often.

No, not very often at all.
    I should think if he ever engages in a little soixante-neuf with his GLW, the tip of his outrageously large olfactory organ penetrates her back passage. Whether she finds this edifying or not is a perfectly valid subject for idle speculation methinks.