Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Didn't take long for the EU to start softening it's tone

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    Yes, I remember a restaurateur in the Dordogne being quite forthright on the subject when I asked if they got a lot of Dutch in as well as English.
    Did you get a fish? Yesterday, not in the Dordogne.

Quote Originally Posted by PSRB View Post
    Remember meeting a Dutch lad on a skiing stag do and we invited him out with us but nowhere would let him in as in the words of various doormen "tight ****s, that won't buy a drink" and followed up with "lads, wer're doing you a favour". We vouched for him and got him in, did he buy a drink? Did he ****!
    Though I must say my Dutch mate here is generous - well he buys me a drink everytime Arsenal finish above Spurs anyway

probably not this year then

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    Did you get a fish? Yesterday, not in the Dordogne.
    No. I remembered I had confit belly pork encased in lard in the fridge, so had that instead with dauphinoise and purple sprouting broccoli from the garden.

Quote Originally Posted by World's End Stella View Post
    The Eurozone has had the strongest economic growth in the world over the past 3-4 months. Better than China, the US, anyone. So said the head economist at this investment bank of mine yesterday.
    Yes. After nearly a decade in the wilderness it's finally showing some decent growth. However, Greece remains utterly fücked and they can't kick that can down the road forever. There's persistent unemployment (the eurozone youth unemployment rate is one in five, and a lot higher than that in several countries). And, of course, Italy is looking extremely dicey.

So I wouldn't go getting too excited about the Eurozone just yet.

Yes. After nearly a decade in the wilderness it's finally showing some decent growth. However, Greece remains utterly fücked and they can't kick that can down the road forever. There's persistent unemployment (the eurozone youth unemployment rate is one in five, and a lot higher than that in several countries). And, of course, Italy is looking extremely dicey.

Also riding the wave of the decline of the £ whilst we sort our **** out and the uncertainty of $ due to Trump

I would quite like an excuse to move the south of France. But all I hear about is people moving business to Dublin, Brussels and Frankfurt I don't want to live in any of these places.

Hmmm - there are issues no doubt, but to call it 'stagnant' or refer to a 'decade in the wilderness' strikes me as excessive.

Don't lower yourself to the level of the some of these Remain nutters, Burney. This chap, while in a position of some responsibility, was clearly the sort of Remainer who makes those of us who did vote remain cringe, he was so one-sided. The Conservative government has completely screwed up the negotiations, the EU have all the power because of this, the UK will now get screwed and the whole thing will be a disaster etc etc. I got so fed up with it that I asked him what power the May government's approach to Brexit had given the EU that they wouldn't have had otherwise. This was met with 'well you have a point, but, um, well, you know, this could go horribly wrong etc etc'. Loads of qualitative opinions with very little quantitative analysis.

Embarrassing.

**** having the job to sort out which Euro laws we'll junk and those that need amending.