Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Thread: Reading the programme notes for the birth-of-SDP play Limehouse

Reading the programme notes for the birth-of-SDP play Limehouse

I was startled to be reminded that Labour's canonised St. Polly of Toynbee was actually a founder member of several SDP organisations and stood (unsuccessfully) for the 1983 election at Lewisham.

Judas? Whither art thou?

Quote Originally Posted by Mo Britain less Europe View Post
    I was startled to be reminded that Labour's canonised St. Polly of Toynbee was actually a founder member of several SDP organisations and stood (unsuccessfully) for the 1983 election at Lewisham.

Judas? Whither art thou?
    Oh, yeah. The hard lefties on the Guardian's comments pages always taunt her with it. I find it more amusing to ask how she got into Oxford with one A level.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    Oh, yeah. The hard lefties on the Guardian's comments pages always taunt her with it. I find it more amusing to ask how she got into Oxford with one A level.
    Oxford Poly?

Quote Originally Posted by 71 Guns - channeling the spirit of Mr Hat View Post
    Oxford Poly?
    Oh, no. St Anne's. Might be something to do with this:

Polly Toynbee was born at Yafford on the Isle of Wight,[3] the second daughter of the literary critic Philip Toynbee (by his first wife Anne), granddaughter of the historian Arnold J. Toynbee, and great-great niece of philanthropist and economic historian Arnold Toynbee, after whom Toynbee Hall in the East End of London is named.
    This from the woman who rails against privilege.

Yes but she is entitled to her privilege, she would argue, because it was won for her by her father, grandfather and great-great uncle.

Not like those stupid hereditary peers at all.