Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I wish the news outlets could find another photo.

Quote Originally Posted by World's End Stella View Post
    Are you trying to sound like Joseph Goebbels here, Charles?

Well played, if so.
    Congratulations. You have simultaneously managed to get the joke while not getting it at all. Impressive

My word! Who died and made *you* Samuel Pepys?

Apart from Pepys himself obviously.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    I walked down Birdcage Walk to Parliament Square yesterday afternoon. Roads were blocked off and there is still no pedestrian access to the square. Lots of tourists taking selfies as well as locals tutting because they had to detour their journey. A few people staring across towards Westminster bridge, one lady gently weeping. Huge police presence, more than at White Hart Lane when we visit. And very, very quiet, not a voice raised or a laugh or a shout, just the drone of the helicopter overhead.

Then to King Charles Street, where big notices had been put up saying 'no pedestrian access', being roundly ignored by a stead6y stream cutting through the FCO to reach Whitehall. Whitehall also closed to traffic and therefore weirdly quiet until someone behind me began screaming, really loudly. It was instantly clear which pedestrians were tourists, for they started from their reverie and began peering to see the source of the disturbance, whilst the locals took absolutely no interest and hurried on to their next appointment.

Later in the evening Soho was functioning absolutely as normal until the police started closing roads apparently at random. There was more tutting about the inconvenience but no one even asked why the roads were being closed.

I was quietly proud, overall.
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

"But a lot have found it difficult wearing the number 9 shirt for The Arsenal."

Quote Originally Posted by Luis Anaconda View Post
    "The trouble with you, Spode, is that just because you have succeeded in inducing a handful of half-wits to disfigure the London scene by going about in black shorts, you think you're someone. You hear them shouting "Heil, Spode!" and you imagine it is the Voice of the People. That is where you make your bloomer. What the Voice of the People is saying is: "Look at that frightful ass Spode swánking about in footer bags! Did you ever in your puff see such a perfect perisher?""
    Oh look, I've just pushed you further up The List!

Quote Originally Posted by SWv2 View Post
    I thought your universities, or at least some of them, were a source of some national pride, global envy some may suggest (not I).

Personally I have never held a lot of faith in third level education. For some a worthy experience and one that society benefits from however for the vast majority simply an excuse to do **** all for 3-4 years.
    The roads you walk and drive on were designed by engineers who went to university, SW. As were the buildings you work in. Not to mention the doctors who make you well. All of society benefits when young people educate themselves, this is a fact.

People with university degrees pay the overwhelming majority of tax, commit far less crime and generally are the foundations upon which any civilized society is built.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    Congratulations. You have simultaneously managed to get the joke while not getting it at all. Impressive
    Um, no. I got it all along, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by redgunamo View Post
    Apart from Pepys himself obviously.
    Later, to Temper, where lumps of beef, pork lamb and goat are barbecued before one's eyes by bearded, tattooed chefs of hipsterist type, served on terrific flatbreads and garnished with sauces and 'sprinkles' on of which is finely ground beef and onion Monster Munch. The outer reaches of the lengthy wine list yielded a decidedly supple French Malbec; just the thing for a meaty spring evening. On a trip to the lavatory I was forced to wait at the sink whilst the chap ahead of me attended to his make up and took ages so to do; one wonders whether these fellows shouldn't be taught to smear their rouge with more rapidity?

Quote Originally Posted by redgunamo View Post
    Better include "languages" in your hitlist too, imo. Unless you want wine waiters and opera critics to be university-educated too.
    I haven't worked out what this means yet, but we already have university-educated wine waiters, I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by World's End Stella View Post
    The roads you walk and drive on were designed by engineers who went to university, SW. As were the buildings you work in. Not to mention the doctors who make you well. All of society benefits when young people educate themselves, this is a fact.

People with university degrees pay the overwhelming majority of tax, commit far less crime and generally are the foundations upon which any civilized society is built.
    This is the sort of thing they shít forth.

Owen-Jones.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
    I haven't worked out what this means yet, but we already have university-educated wine waiters, I believe.
    But it's not compulsory. Yet.

So far, you just need to be a drunkard, so far as I can judge.
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

"But a lot have found it difficult wearing the number 9 shirt for The Arsenal."

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    Later, to Temper, where lumps of beef, pork lamb and goat are barbecued before one's eyes by bearded, tattooed chefs of hipsterist type, served on terrific flatbreads and garnished with sauces and 'sprinkles' on of which is finely ground beef and onion Monster Munch. The outer reaches of the lengthy wine list yielded a decidedly supple French Malbec; just the thing for a meaty spring evening. On a trip to the lavatory I was forced to wait at the sink whilst the chap ahead of me attended to his make up and took ages so to do; one wonders whether these fellows shouldn't be taught to smear their rouge with more rapidity?
    Any whores?

Beef and onion Monster Munch? Really? Something about that provokes my 'fvck off!' reflex, I fear.
    Last edited by Burney; 03-24-2017 at 10:51 AM.