Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I shall be meeting my father-in-law for the first time on Saturday

I shall be meeting my father-in-law for the first time on Saturday

He is American, very loud, is notoriously disputatious and violently disapproves of drinking.

It promises to be absolutely ghastly.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    He is American, very loud, is notoriously disputatious and violently disapproves of drinking.

disputatious

If you drink lots of scotch before meeting him, you may find the touching familial scene descending into fisticuffs; this will be awkward for a while, but in the long term will ensure that you and he and kept well separated.

(Is he as bonkers as the mother, do you think?)

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    If you drink lots of scotch before meeting him, you may find the touching familial scene descending into fisticuffs; this will be awkward for a while, but in the long term will ensure that you and he and kept well separated.

(Is he as bonkers as the mother, do you think?)
    I had hoped that the Atlantic Ocean and his advancing years would have ensured we never met, but no such luck. There's no way I'm getting through the thing without a drink, though.

If anything, more so. She's quite sweet once you get to know her. He regularly gets into online feuds with Judges, ex-Navy Seals and the like. The most recent of these ended up with two Scotland Yard detectives being dispatched to g's mum's place in Bradford following some sort of allegation that he was a national security threat.

I had hoped that the Atlantic Ocean and his advancing years would have ensured we never met, but no such luck. There's no way I'm getting through the thing without a drink, though.

If anything, more so. She's quite sweet once you get to know her. He regularly gets into online feuds with Judges, ex-Navy Seals and the like. The most recent of these ended up with two Scotland Yard detectives being dispatched to g's mum's place in Bradford following some sort of allegation that he was a national security threat.
    He sounds like he could be top entertainment. Wind him up and let him go! opcorn:

notoriously disputatious
    You have something in common, at least.

Too late to do anything about it now though, I suppose. He can surely have no real complaints though, in any case; you have a job and you plainly do not wipe your mouth with your sleeve. Looked at properly, in-laws do not really expect much better than that.
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

"But a lot have found it difficult wearing the number 9 shirt for The Arsenal."

Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
    You have something in common, at least.
    That's what worries me.

Quote Originally Posted by redgunamo View Post
    Too late to do anything about it now though, I suppose. He can surely have no real complaints though, in any case; you have a job and you plainly do not wipe your mouth with your sleeve. Looked at properly, in-laws do not really expect much better than that.
    My in-laws have always been deeply regretful of my attitude to earning a living; they have never tried to conceal their disappointment at having a son-in-law who is in trade. They find it terribly bourgeois.

Quote Originally Posted by redgunamo View Post
    Oh, I couldn't really give a shït what he thinks of me. I just don't want the wife upset, so want things to go well for her.

He's on his third or fourth wife - I forget which - so he's hardly in a position to judge anyone else's eligibility.