Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: I shall be meeting my father-in-law for the first time on Saturday

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    My in-laws have always been deeply regretful of my attitude to earning a living; they have never tried to conceal their disappointment at having a son-in-law who is in trade. They find it terribly bourgeois.

You basically married into the plot of a Morse episode imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    He is American, very loud, is notoriously disputatious and violently disapproves of drinking.

It promises to be absolutely ghastly.
    'violently disapproves of drinking.'
    I would have hoped for a JR Ewing type character.

You basically married into the plot of a Morse episode imo.
    I once asked the mother-in-law what she suggested we do for money, given her disapproval of working for a living. "Can't you just walk around finding some in the street? People must lose money all the time!"

And that was before she went a bit loony.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    My in-laws have always been deeply regretful of my attitude to earning a living; they have never tried to conceal their disappointment at having a son-in-law who is in trade. They find it terribly bourgeois.
    They'll be just saying that, I reckon. They'll know full well how fortunate they've been, if only to have their daughter out of the house and out of their hair and not constantly at the door begging for handouts with filthy, ill-clothed and poorly shod brats in tow.
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

"But a lot have found it difficult wearing the number 9 shirt for The Arsenal."

Oh, I couldn't really give a shït what he thinks of me. I just don't want the wife upset, so want things to go well for her.

He's on his third or fourth wife - I forget which - so he's hardly in a position to judge anyone else's eligibility.
    Yes, that's what I mean. Let him who is without sin and a' that.

And, crucially, he is not paying for you.
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

"But a lot have found it difficult wearing the number 9 shirt for The Arsenal."

Quote Originally Posted by redgunamo View Post
    They'll be just saying that, I reckon. They'll know full well how fortunate they've been, if only to have their daughter out of the house and out of their hair and not constantly at the door begging for handouts with filthy, ill-clothed and poorly shod brats in tow.
    She'd be fúcking disappointed if she tried.

Quote Originally Posted by redgunamo View Post
    Yes, that's what I mean. Let him who is without sin and a' that.

And, crucially, he is not paying for you.
    Indeed. And I'm picking up the bill for lunch, so if I wish to imbibe I shall fücking well do so.

Indeed. And I'm picking up the bill for lunch, so if I wish to imbibe I shall fücking well do so.
    **** him in the eye B, not literally of course but you know what I mean and have my full backing.

Drink more than you had initially intended. ****.

He is American, very loud, is notoriously disputatious and violently disapproves of drinking.

It promises to be absolutely ghastly.

Is he a Mormon?

Begs the obvious question, really. Have you met your MiL or will you be meeting her?#

When I met my Septic FiL, I have massively disappointed. He is well educated, rational, broad minded and phenomenally well travelled. You are the lucky one. You have plenty of whole to pick through
    "Scoring a goal is better than sex" - Whoever said that was sticking it to the wrong woman

Oh, I couldn't really give a shït what he thinks of me. I just don't want the wife upset, so want things to go well for her.

He's on his third or fourth wife - I forget which - so he's hardly in a position to judge anyone else's eligibility.

As if Hypocrisy ever stopped anyone?
    "Scoring a goal is better than sex" - Whoever said that was sticking it to the wrong woman