Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Thread: You know how popular culture agrees that the McCarthy era in the US was terrible?

You know how popular culture agrees that the McCarthy era in the US was terrible?

Because he was constantly hounding people and alleging that Hollywood and the US State Department were full of communists?

Well, the more I read about it, the fact is that the US State Department and Hollywood ABSOLUTELY WERE full of communists and I wonder why he gets such a bad press.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    Because he was constantly hounding people and alleging that Hollywood and the US State Department were full of communists?

Well, the more I read about it, the fact is that the US State Department and Hollywood ABSOLUTELY WERE full of communists and I wonder why he gets such a bad press.
    This is a huge issue, b. Communism is an evil, genocidal cult which appears to get a free pass. From the lunatics of Greenham Common determined to leave us defenceless in the face of the enemy, to generations of traitorous politicians like Benn, Foot and Corbyn who wished to deliver us into the hands of a murderous tyrrany, all is forgotten and forgiven. Generation after generation of university professor brainwashing their students without fear of retribution, and even today it goes on. Russell Brand earns a living spreading the gospel of communism, his rat-faced Marxist mate gets to present Bake Off and we all remain passive. I'm not too troubled, I'm almost dead, but I can only hope that sometime after I'm gone, decency will rear its head once more and disembowel the snivelling liberals who blight our lives and steal our freedom to speak and to think with their Marxist dogma. Ben Elton, Billy Bragg, Stewart Wossname, Bob Geldof and that lad who looks like Gandalf. Stab them all in the eyes and then string them up from lampposts with signs saying 'Verräter' hung round their necks.

See also those who would disrespect Her Majesty. Products of the 'permissive society'. I'd have them all flogged to death.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    This is a huge issue, b. Communism is an evil, genocidal cult which appears to get a free pass. From the lunatics of Greenham Common determined to leave us defenceless in the face of the enemy, to generations of traitorous politicians like Benn, Foot and Corbyn who wished to deliver us into the hands of a murderous tyrrany, all is forgotten and forgiven. Generation after generation of university professor brainwashing their students without fear of retribution, and even today it goes on. Russell Brand earns a living spreading the gospel of communism, his rat-faced Marxist mate gets to present Bake Off and we all remain passive. I'm not too troubled, I'm almost dead, but I can only hope that sometime after I'm gone, decency will rear its head once more and disembowel the snivelling liberals who blight our lives and steal our freedom to speak and to think with their Marxist dogma. Ben Elton, Billy Bragg, Stewart Wossname, Bob Geldof and that lad who looks like Gandalf. Stab them all in the eyes and then string them up from lampposts with signs saying 'Verräter' hung round their necks.

See also those who would disrespect Her Majesty. Products of the 'permissive society'. I'd have them all flogged to death.
    Yeah, what I've come to realise is actually the extent to which I've been indoctrinated by this nonsense as well. If asked, I'd probably reflexively have said McCarthy was a bad thing because...errr...The Crucible and...ummm...Spartacus.
    In fact, my degree of thought on the subject was hopeless. McCarthy was actually right about communist infiltration of the US and equally right to call it out and make people scared of communists. I feel like scales have been lifted from my eyes.

Yeah, what I've come to realise is actually the extent to which I've been indoctrinated by this nonsense as well. If asked, I'd probably reflexively have said McCarthy was a bad thing because...errr...The Crucible and...ummm...Spartacus.
    In fact, my degree of thought on the subject was hopeless. McCarthy was actually right about communist infiltration of the US and equally right to call it out and make people scared of communists. I feel like scales have been lifted from my eyes.
    Watcha reading?

Quote Originally Posted by Monty92 View Post
    Watcha reading?
    This is worth a squint

51oIgVXN0+L.jpg

Of course, but nobody likes to be hounded, do they.

And popular culture is mostly written by lefties, in any case.

The actor James Woods' twitter account is in essence a long whine about his having been practically shunned by Hollywood for the crime of being a Conservative. And you must've noticed the opprobrium Clint Eastwood and Jon Voight received for publicly backing the Donald last year. And so on.

"Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

"But a lot have found it difficult wearing the number 9 shirt for The Arsenal."

Quote Originally Posted by redgunamo View Post
    And popular culture is mostly written by lefties, in any case.

The actor James Woods' twitter account is in essence a long whine about his having been practically shunned by Hollywood for the crime of being a Conservative. And you must've noticed the opprobrium Clint Eastwood and Jon Voight received for publicly backing the Donald last year. And so on.

The only backing that should be done to Donald Trump is with an articulated lorry.
    "Scoring a goal is better than sex" - Whoever said that was sticking it to the wrong woman

Quote Originally Posted by Alberto Balsam Rodriguez View Post
    The only backing that should be done to Donald Trump is with an articulated lorry.
    Fair enough. Lots of people like him, so I gather.
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

"But a lot have found it difficult wearing the number 9 shirt for The Arsenal."