Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Nearly had to kick my radio in listening to the Today programme this morning

Quote Originally Posted by Norn Iron View Post
    Interesting times ahead for Northern Ireland.

We're set for another election if we don't get an agreement before the 27th March. Sinn Fein were almost the biggest party last time. Brexit, Marty's death and the thought of actually having a chance of winning the election might bump them over the line.

I look at it from a Unionist point of view but it makes me sad that people choose to vote Sinn Fein. Being connected to murder enhances your political career in Northern Ireland. Look at Gerry's history, it's probably worse than Marty's.
    I take your point, of course, but I suppose the attitude is that a Sinn Fein explicitly committed to non-violent means is a huge step forward and that, as peace continues, the vestigial associations with its violent past will drop away. There is now a generation of voters that has never known conflict in Northern Ireland, so those associations that you and I have don't exist in their minds.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    She, quite sensibly, renounced any connection with the place at the earliest possible opportunity, and as a British passport holder was as British as you or I.

Your racist taunts against my poor, dead mother will not rouse my ire, b. My hatred for them is a cold, clear flame of rage which burns with the focus of an oxyacetelene torch and will not be distracted.
    We cannot renounce our births or upbringings, sadly. We can only escape them.

Quote Originally Posted by Norn Iron View Post
    I've SW pegged as a Sinn Fein/ IRA sympathiser. Just give me the nod C
    Au contraire my Protestant friend, I am Catholic and if you wish to label me further then Nationalist but I have never supported war and ultimately the death of innocents.

I would gladly buy you a pint in a public demonstration of arms across the barricade.

Even though I bet you would not get me one back you tight dirty Hun.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    I take your point, of course, but I suppose the attitude is that a Sinn Fein explicitly committed to non-violent means is a huge step forward and that, as peace continues, the vestigial associations with its violent past will drop away. There is now a generation of voters that has never known conflict in Northern Ireland, so those associations that you and I have don't exist in their minds.
    I just said "vestigial" too. Now I feel like a fraud, a copycat
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

"But a lot have found it difficult wearing the number 9 shirt for The Arsenal."

Quote Originally Posted by redgunamo View Post
    Oh, I agree, but that's just politics; they're all in it together. Like footballers.
    According to my old man some years ago, who has worked with all of them over there, McG, despite his past, was actually a very personable bloke to work with and get on with, and certainly showed more respect towards the Prods than, for example, Mo Mowlem, whose behaviour in front of them was appalling.

Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
    According to my old man some years ago, who has worked with all of them over there, McG, despite his past, was actually a very personable bloke to work with and get on with, and certainly showed more respect towards the Prods than, for example, Mo Mowlem, whose behaviour in front of them was appalling.
    Please A, bit of respect.

Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
    Mowlam was a ghastly woman and, being a lefty, entirely biased towards the provos.

Mowlam was a ghastly woman and, being a lefty, entirely biased towards the provos.
    She was the fat cow who looked like she had cancer, right?

All these left women sort of blur into one.

The troops were only there because of IRA violence.
    ISTR they went in originally because of protestant violence against catholics.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    She was the fat cow who looked like she had cancer, right?

All these left women sort of blur into one.
    Yes. Although to be fair, she did have cancer.

Apparently she kept taking her wig off in meetings and grossing everyone out.