Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Nearly had to kick my radio in listening to the Today programme this morning

Quote Originally Posted by Herbette Chapman - aged 15 View Post
    British troops left NI 10 years ago so I would say the Brits are out. The leading figures of the enemy were then invited to the table and afforded positions of power in the democratic apparatus which hardly equates to military defeat. Be rather like offering Heydrich a seat in the The Cabinet.
    You're conflating 'Brits Out' with 'Troops Out'. The troops were only there because of IRA violence. Once that stopped, there was no need for them. They left because they'd won, not because they IRA had beaten them.
    They were offered seats at the table in a power-sharing government as a devolved part of the United Kingdom in return for abandoning the armed struggle, handing over their weapons and operating purely by democratic means. That was a million miles from their stated war aims of fighting the British until they gave up and left Northern Ireland to unite with the Republic and, as I said, was basically the same deal that had been on the table in 1974.

Let me ask you something: in a war, which side usually has to hand over their arms? Is it the winners?

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    Incorrect. They did want to win militarily. .. They couldn't. Ergo, they lost.
    Yes, military forces invariably do, but there's always wider issues at stake.
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

"But a lot have found it difficult wearing the number 9 shirt for The Arsenal."

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    You're conflating 'Brits Out' with 'Troops Out'. The troops were only there because of IRA violence. Once that stopped, there was no need for them. They left because they'd won, not because they IRA had beaten them.
    They were offered seats at the table in a power-sharing government as a devolved part of the United Kingdom in return for abandoning the armed struggle, handing over their weapons and operating purely by democratic means. That was a million miles from their stated war aims of fighting the British until they gave up and left Northern Ireland to unite with the Republic and, as I said, was basically the same deal that had been on the table in 1974.

Let me ask you something: in a war, which side usually has to hand over their arms? Is it the winners?
    I actually don't think any party can really claim to have won.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    Yes, but she was close to Louis. He was like a second father to Charles.
    Thirteen dead and not forgotten
    we got fourteen and Mountbatten

I wonder what sort of funeral it will be? He was always IRA first imo. He was proud of the IRA. They can't go with any IRA type funeral after him being the Deputy First Minister, can they?

Quote Originally Posted by redgunamo View Post
    Please don't say that; my own parents were regular guests at those functions
    Oh dear. I expect Lord Louis mounted your mum a few times. Do you have a certain something of the teuton about you Red?

Quote Originally Posted by Herbette Chapman - aged 15 View Post
    Oh dear. I expect Lord Louis mounted your mum a few times. Do you have a certain something of the teuton about you Red?
    My wife
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

"But a lot have found it difficult wearing the number 9 shirt for The Arsenal."

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    14 Intelligence Company, known as The Det, undercover loonies who collected intelligence for MI5 and undermined the Ra

It's Tim McGraw, a fine singer of both types of music, country and western.
    So we draw our information now from folk music do we? Works for me C - better than any bloody fake news

Quote Originally Posted by SWv2 View Post
    I actually don't think any party can really claim to have won.
    In the sense that the UK government's aims were only ever to hold the circle and achieve peaceful and democratic co-existence between the parties, I'd say it's hard to argue they didn't achieve them, since that's what we now have.

Quote Originally Posted by Norn Iron View Post
    I wonder what sort of funeral it will be? He was always IRA first imo. He was proud of the IRA. They can't go with any IRA type funeral after him being the Deputy First Minister, can they?
    I would assume not. Perhaps some nod to the past but none of the marked men and armed salutes at graveside.