Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Nearly had to kick my radio in listening to the Today programme this morning

Quote Originally Posted by Norn Iron View Post
    I wonder what sort of funeral it will be? He was always IRA first imo. He was proud of the IRA. They can't go with any IRA type funeral after him being the Deputy First Minister, can they?
    It would be a bit embarrassing given all the 'man of peace' rhetoric now doing the rounds if a handful of middle-aged, raggedy-arsed tossers in balaclavas, combat jackets and poorly-worn berets turned up and popped a few rounds over the graveside, I'd have thought.

Over here we all want to know if Corbyn will be stupid enough to go over and see all his old pals.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    In the sense that the UK government's aims were only ever to hold the circle and achieve peaceful and democratic co-existence between the parties, I'd say it's hard to argue they didn't achieve them, since that's what we now have.
    Well one could argue that the role of the British Army (as opposed to the Government) was to defeat the IRA which they fundamentally did not do.

The only winners in the whole sorry affair are the people now living in a relatively peaceful country.

Quote Originally Posted by SWv2 View Post
    Well one could argue that the role of the British Army (as opposed to the Government) was to defeat the IRA which they fundamentally did not do.

The only winners in the whole sorry affair are the people now living in a relatively peaceful country.
    I'm not sure *can* actually separate the two. Or can you.
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

"But a lot have found it difficult wearing the number 9 shirt for The Arsenal."

The army is simply a tool of government. It has no war aims other than those ascribed to it by the government.

Seen. That's the main thing to keep in mind.
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

It would be a bit embarrassing given all the 'man of peace' rhetoric now doing the rounds if a handful of middle-aged, raggedy-arsed tossers in balaclavas, combat jackets and poorly-worn berets turned up and popped a few rounds over the graveside, I'd have thought.

Over here we all want to know if Corbyn will be stupid enough to go over and see all his old pals.
    I think we all know the answer to that last question is yes. Whether Seamus Milne and his cronies are stupid enough to let him is another matter. Will take his mind of last night's disastrous PLP meeting anyway

The army is simply a tool of government. It has no war aims other than those ascribed to it by the government.
    The military wing of government, as it were.

Quote Originally Posted by Luis Anaconda View Post
    I think we all know the answer to that last question is yes. Whether Seamus Milne and his cronies are stupid enough to let him is another matter. Will take his mind of last night's disastrous PLP meeting anyway
    They might have to strap him to his chair and lock him in his office to stop him going over there to stick his fist in the air and shout 'Tiocfaidh ár lá!' in front of the world's press.

Quote Originally Posted by redgunamo View Post
    The military wing of government, as it were.
    Indeed. If it starts developing its own war aims, it becomes the government and then you've got scenes.

I think McGuinness was probably better company than Adams, he seemed to have a sense of humour. But that's as good as it gets.

The IRA won. They won in the way terrorists win, not by winning but by not losing. Unless you crush terrorists by slaughtering them and their families and friends and supporters and sympathisers, there's always one to carry out an attack which create the same fear and uncertainty whatever the effect. The IRA was not in Al Qaeda league but they messed up UK for decades.

They won because they gained a share of power and an agreement which legitimised their violence at the expense of moderate Republicans (who remembers the SDLP now?).

They won because demographics dictates that in a very few years there will be a Catholic, pro-Eire majority in Ulster. At that point there will be a referendum and Ulster will vote to leave UK. Many opposed to this will move to UK, they will be followed - as happened after the creation of the Irish Free State etc - by many Catholics, some of whom may vote to stay in UK and some who will vote to leave but still take advantage of the incredibly lax and stupid attitude of UK who treats the Irish people as if they were sons from an errant province that might return to their fold rather than citizens of an entirely different country.

They won because a piece of **** party whose only political weapons were violence and extremism is in the process of establishing itself as the main party both sides of the border.