Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Nearly had to kick my radio in listening to the Today programme this morning

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Nearly had to kick my radio in listening to the Today programme this morning

Tony Blair's damp-eyed, husky-voiced eulogy for the Butcher of Bogside would have made a goat puke. Repulsive pieces of shït both.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    Tony Blair's damp-eyed, husky-voiced eulogy for the Butcher of Bogside would have made a goat puke. Repulsive pieces of shït both.

McGuinness did a lot for good, for both sides of the population in the North, in recent times so for that alone I won’t rush to completely dismiss him as many others will. That is not to say he should in any way be portrayed as some kind of saint as he was very clearly not.

The troubles were an unfortunate time in Ireland’s history with no parties involved emerging without blame.

Quote Originally Posted by SWv2 View Post
    McGuinness did a lot for good, for both sides of the population in the North, in recent times so for that alone I won’t rush to completely dismiss him as many others will. That is not to say he should in any way be portrayed as some kind of saint as he was very clearly not.

The troubles were an unfortunate time in Ireland’s history with no parties involved emerging without blame.
    Bullshït. He was a torturer and a mass murderer who only came to the table because he knew the IRA was beaten and the Peace Process was the best deal they were going to get.
    Plenty of people lived through the same period in the same place and never murdered anyone. Fück him. I hope his death was as painful as that of his victims.

Bullshït. He was a torturer and a mass murderer who only came to the table because he knew the IRA was beaten and the Peace Process was the best deal they were going to get.
    Plenty of people lived through the same period in the same place and never murdered anyone. Fück him. I hope his death was as painful as that of his victims.
    Fair enough.

Quote Originally Posted by SWv2 View Post
    Fair enough.
    Apologies for going off at you like that. Probably best I avoid the media today.

Apologies for going off at you like that. Probably best I avoid the media today.
    Not at all, absolutely no offence was taken.

I can 100% understand a reaction such as yours.

In what sense were the IRA beaten?

Quote Originally Posted by Herbette Chapman - aged 15 View Post
    In what sense were the IRA beaten?
    SAS and 14 Int persuaded them they couldn't win militarily

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    Winning militarily was never their objective C - they were a terrorist organisation. I'd say they were reasonably successful at that.

Who is this 14 Int by the way? /

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    It's the onset of middle-age, innit. Those practical arguments chaps would've roundly dismissed only a short time before suddenly begin to ring true and make sense. I've seen it all over the world.

There always seems to come a point when a chap wants to just cash out, grab his girl and go off and live a quiet life. Very few want to keep running and fighting forever. The ones that *do* want to carry on quickly end up dead
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

"But a lot have found it difficult wearing the number 9 shirt for The Arsenal."