Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Warchest klaxon!!

Quote Originally Posted by SWv2 View Post
    Well if we win whatever game they record after then the mood will be fine.

Once the deal is signed it is utterly futile to stress over.
    Not too sure about that. I suspect that, by this time, it's about much more than a result or two.

Maybe it always was, for some. You mentioned yesterday that you knew those of fellows who have never taken to Wenger. Presumably that means even when He was winning league titles?
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

"But a lot have found it difficult wearing the number 9 shirt for The Arsenal."

Quote Originally Posted by redgunamo View Post
    Not too sure about that. I suspect that, by this time, it's about much more than a result or two.

Maybe it always was, for some. You mentioned yesterday that you knew those of fellows who have never taken to Wenger. Presumably that means even when He was winning league titles?
    You mis-quote me but on this occasion, and because I like you R, I will overlook it and not seek you down and kill you.

I said yesterday I know of people who vehemently hate Wenger as in the present and recent years, not always. We all loved the man at first and correctly so.

I can assure you they celebrated those distant title successes with much gusto and dancing.

preparing for the STL renewal period?
    "Scoring a goal is better than sex" - Whoever said that was sticking it to the wrong woman

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Vegas View Post
    I mean it though.
    We've been several squads since the invincible squad.

The same issues reoccur. It's not all down to 'not competing' with Chelsea, City etc. We should have easily won the league last year
    and we should be doing a much better job this year and be in a title race. Of course people will always say what about Tottenham? Liverpool, United, City. Not doing great are they? That's not my concern.

We've made big signings now and spent a lot this past summer.
    When the going gets tough he fall apart.

None of it is really down to financially competing with other teams. At this moment in time (unfortunately, this has been the case for circa 8 years now), it is all down to what we do or do not do on a Saturday afternoon. Once we get that right, the rest might follow. It is as simple as that. Will Wenger change, can Wenger change or will it be the same old, same old?
    "Scoring a goal is better than sex" - Whoever said that was sticking it to the wrong woman

Quote Originally Posted by SWv2 View Post
    I think Arsenal supporters have been extremely supportive of the old man and correctly so given the success he brought to the club in his first decade.

What has come to pass now is simply an opportunity for a natural parting of the ways, a time when I think most observers, internal to the club in respect of supporters and sympathetic media and external to the club in respect of general media, seem to think the time is right for Wenger to move on – however he himself appears about to dig his heels in and stay.

Supporters are frustrated at what they see as a lack of progress, indeed many will point to what they see as a decline though perhaps a little early to judge that one, an annual failure to address the same problems within the playing side of the club for which he takes 100% of the blame.
    Some do see the last 10 years as a lack of progress but progress is relative. To be fair, if there has been any real stagnation, it has been in the last three seasons.

One could argue that the quality of the football has declined. I don't mean the passing and walking the ball into the net nonsense. I mean our ability to play as a unit for 90 minutes on the pitch and do as many of the things that you would expect from a group of £100K a week footballers, week in, week out to get the best results possible. Is that anywhere near the standard it was 13 years ago?

Quote Originally Posted by Alberto Balsam Rodriguez View Post
    None of it is really down to financially competing with other teams. At this moment in time (unfortunately, this has been the case for circa 8 years now), it is all down to what we do or do not do on a Saturday afternoon. Once we get that right, the rest might follow. It is as simple as that. Will Wenger change, can Wenger change or will it be the same old, same old?
    Good post.
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

"But a lot have found it difficult wearing the number 9 shirt for The Arsenal."

Quote Originally Posted by Alberto Balsam Rodriguez View Post
    Will Wenger change, can Wenger change...
    Nope.

“If you always do what you’ve always done, you’ll always get what you’ve always got.”
    “Other clubs never came into my thoughts once I knew Arsenal wanted to sign me.”