Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Is Wenger being selfish?

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    The mistake everyobe is making is thinking in terms of Wenger's 'failure'.

His employment status rests with 'the board', who are clearly beholden to the majority shareholder, who has a track record of buying sports clubs and running them as purely commercial entities without consideration of on the field success in terms of trophies.

As far as Kroenke is concerned, Arsene has done a wonderful job. I believe his shares are currently worth around 30% more than he paid for them and the club is cash rich. If I were Kroenke, I would pay Wenger whatever he wanted to stay for as long as he wanted.
    Right. As I say, perfectly professional.
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

"But a lot have found it difficult wearing the number 9 shirt for The Arsenal."

Of course if the Wenger Out enthusiasts were a large majority, and if they really believed that they were acting in the club's best interests in having the manager removed, we would fail to sell half our season tickets this spring and then you'd see a reaction from the owner.

Of course these people will continue to pay as if they have no agency in the matter, and then moan about what they receive for their money
    Well I have to say I would not expect any supporter to give up on ST entitlement due to dislike of Wenger.

Football support transcends the individual and indeed the present.

Quote Originally Posted by SWv2 View Post
    Well I have to say I would not expect any supporter to give up on ST entitlement due to dislike of Wenger.

Football support transcends the individual and indeed the present.
    You've properly embarrassed yourself there, old chap.

He can't take the hint imo. Poor guy. He's been here so long and always thought he had a job for life. the thought of having to leave is difficult for him to take.

-

the problem with the performances this season is that they're the same performances we've seen for the last 2 season. just abysmal shockingly bad efforts where everyone looks like they've been on the lash the night before....although this season they seemed to have taken their sh*t to a completely new level.

I thought Ramsey vs Watford was pretty low but the West Brom defending took it even further.

The issue now is that we don't seem capable of raising our game to grind out the required wins for 4th place (or even 5th) everyone has given up.

We've always been to pick ourselves out and get the results needed...remember when we got 26 from 30 points in the last 10 games to nail Spurs on the last game of the season. No Chance of this team doing anything like that.

At this rate our best chance of Europe would be no have a tackle free last few games and try and get the Fail Play spot.

It's time for someone new. Someone young, fresh, determined and with new ideas. Wenger doesn't have the tactically know how for today's game or a willingness to even try something different.

Not sure what the issue is...board just have to be brave and firm and let him know they would like to go in a different direction.

Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
    And yet some people would rather blame the fans.
    True, but the majority of the people who would blame the fans are the same people who routinely denigrated the fans who have held the view that Wenger needed to go. They criticized their intellect, their social background, their maturity and even their mothers. Some of them were told they needed a new hobby.

So these same people are now faced with a choice; admit they were wrong and that the people they disparaged so viciously were right, or blame them again. Unsurprisingly many will choose to do the latter as they aren't big enough to do the former.

You've properly embarrassed yourself there, old chap.
    Well it does. I don't particularly like any of our current players but it does not dilute support for the club. I actually dislike some of them, others I am simply indifferent to.

Well it does. I don't particularly like any of our current players but it does not dilute support for the club. I actually dislike some of them, others I am simply indifferent to.
    Yes, yes, but this idea that football fans 'deserve' something, or are in some way different to consumers of any other product, service or entertainment, is just a bit silly. If they don't want Wenger at the club and if they don't renew in sufficient numbers, he'll be gone. But turning up every week and moaning about what they're watching is a bit silly.

Yes, yes, but this idea that football fans 'deserve' something, or are in some way different to consumers of any other product, service or entertainment, is just a bit silly. If they don't want Wenger at the club and if they don't renew in sufficient numbers, he'll be gone. But turning up every week and moaning about what they're watching is a bit silly.
    You know as well as I do that a chap who walks away now may never get his ST back, so why should he walk away based on Wenger when the change he so desperately wants may be just around the corner?

I know chaps who absolutely hate Wenger but have been going since late 70s or early 80s, a similar vintage to you. I won’t resort to clichés such as it being in their blood or whatever but it is an absolutely massive part of their lives and will always be.

The current decline of Wenger should not impact that.

Silly? Perhaps so, but then so much about football is silly so we can dismiss that.

That's called "supporting the club", I think.

Would the Arsenal be better off if they took their custom elsewhere?

Nobody says fans must always agree with everything.

"Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

"But a lot have found it difficult wearing the number 9 shirt for The Arsenal."

You know as well as I do that a chap who walks away now may never get his ST back, so why should he walk away based on Wenger when the change he so desperately wants may be just around the corner?

I know chaps who absolutely hate Wenger but have been going since late 70s or early 80s, a similar vintage to you. I won’t resort to clichés such as it being in their blood or whatever but it is an absolutely massive part of their lives and will always be.

The current decline of Wenger should not impact that.

Silly? Perhaps so, but then so much about football is silly so we can dismiss that.
    I'm terribly glad you didn't mention nonsense like it 'being in their blood', because we know, do we not, that supporting a club is a hobby; an occasionally emotional hobby, sometimes rooted in tribalism, sometimes driven by a sense of place or belonging, but still a hobby. Blokes who go to Middlesrough for a league game on a Tuesday night aren't doing anything for the club, they're going because they enjoy the experience (and possibly because they are social and sexual failures, but anyway). It is an entirely selfish matter and an entirely objective judgement. If you don't like it, don't go.