Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Is Wenger being selfish?

Quote Originally Posted by redgunamo View Post
    That still leaves room for a hundert million pound striker though, doesn't it #wengerIN
    As we've seen, spending the fackin money is no guarantee of anything. Our spending is the highest it has ever been, and we're on our worst run of form for 20 years. A two hundred million pound striker wouldn't get any service from this lot.

Quote Originally Posted by World's End Stella View Post
    I would qualify that slightly, SW.

A manager should ignore the fans' view when it comes to managing the football club. His decisions should be taken solely based on what he thinks is best for the club and the team.

However, when it comes to whether he should stay or go, the fans' view is very important. The most important factor, I think you could argue.
    100% agree on the above but at this part of the conundrum I would point the finger at the board who have offered him the new deal.

I think we would both agree that Wenger probably believes he can turn this around so will sign, but that option perhaps should not even be available to him, the board having weighed up past years, past failures and decided that all in he has done a great job in the far past but is not the man for the future.

The whole scenario is at risk of descending into farce from boardroom level through management to playing staff. None of these three seperate parties are coming out of this with one ounce of credit.

Quote Originally Posted by SWv2 View Post
    100% agree on the above but at this part of the conundrum I would point the finger at the board who have offered him the new deal.

I think we would both agree that Wenger probably believes he can turn this around so will sign, but that option perhaps should not even be available to him, the board having weighed up past years, past failures and decided that all in he has done a great job in the far past but is not the man for the future.

The whole scenario is at risk of descending into farce from boardroom level through management to playing staff. None of these three seperate parties are coming out of this with one ounce of credit.
    And yet some people would rather blame the fans.

Quote Originally Posted by Alberto Balsam Rodriguez View Post
    I wonder whether the PSG job will be open to him this summer?
    Surely then he would utter some nonsense about financial doping and turn his back on them.

Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
    Part of the problem is Ivan saying a while back that the fans would decide. That is very literally inviting protest against Arsene. How is the 'opinion of the fans' measured anyway? Twitter? AWIMB? Aeroplanes? "We want to go!" songs? Muggy banners?
    A poll obviously.
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

"But a lot have found it difficult wearing the number 9 shirt for The Arsenal."

The mistake everyobe is making is thinking in terms of Wenger's 'failure'.

His employment status rests with 'the board', who are clearly beholden to the majority shareholder, who has a track record of buying sports clubs and running them as purely commercial entities without consideration of on the field success in terms of trophies.

As far as Kroenke is concerned, Arsene has done a wonderful job. I believe his shares are currently worth around 30% more than he paid for them and the club is cash rich. If I were Kroenke, I would pay Wenger whatever he wanted to stay for as long as he wanted.

And yet some people would rather blame the fans.
    Well personally I don’t think the whole banners during matches and flying of planes with messages attached is of any help other than focusing the media on the circus.

Before and after games is fair enough.

I would suggest we are actually a laughing stock at the moment. Just imagine the mileage we would be getting from these events in N17.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    The mistake everyobe is making is thinking in terms of Wenger's 'failure'.

His employment status rests with 'the board', who are clearly beholden to the majority shareholder, who has a track record of buying sports clubs and running them as purely commercial entities without consideration of on the field success in terms of trophies.

As far as Kroenke is concerned, Arsene has done a wonderful job. I believe his shares are currently worth around 30% more than he paid for them and the club is cash rich. If I were Kroenke, I would pay Wenger whatever he wanted to stay for as long as he wanted.
    I cannot disagree with a word you have written.

..spending the fackin money is no guarantee of anything.
    You sound like my wife

Anyway, obviously it isn't, if you spend it on the wrong things.
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

"But a lot have found it difficult wearing the number 9 shirt for The Arsenal."

Well personally I don’t think the whole banners during matches and flying of planes with messages attached is of any help other than focusing the media on the circus.

Before and after games is fair enough.

I would suggest we are actually a laughing stock at the moment. Just imagine the mileage we would be getting from these events in N17.
    Of course if the Wenger Out enthusiasts were a large majority, and if they really believed that they were acting in the club's best interests in having the manager removed, we would fail to sell half our season tickets this spring and then you'd see a reaction from the owner.

Of course these people will continue to pay as if they have no agency in the matter, and then moan about what they receive for their money