Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
Now if you argued that the mere act of going to the football - that physical act of belonging - is actually what they're paying for, then you'd have a better case. However, if you accept that, then there is no way of defining what 'value for money' means in that context and thus no grounds for customer complaint as long as the club keeps letting them in.
No, it's more like me complaining about my daughter's American Express bill; the bitterness and resentment felt is in no way intended to imply a refusal, of any kind, to settle up on time and in full and forever. As Williams suggests (rather knowingly, I thought, for him. He must be having one of his days), it is at most just talk as one is, fundamentally, committed and wouldn't actually have it any other way in any case.

One may only take your view if one isn't, or doesn't feel, duty-bound or responsible. It's about what you believe in; I kept my season tickets even though I haven't regularly attended in over twenty years and anyway was never going to be the sort of middle-aged dad to go to the football. No, it's because I believed my (inevitable) sons should go.

It's as Kevin Keegan told us, years ago; at the end of the day, London trendies often have better things to do with their money than go to the football. Fair enough, everyone must make that choice for themselves. But to banter off those who do pledge to do so, while putting on dog about how great Wenger or Özil are the while, and at the same time refusing to actually contribute to their wages is rather inseemly, in my view.