Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Leicester have got Atleti.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    That was odd, though. Every impressionist on the telly in the 70s would do Jimmy Cagney, 30 years after his films were popular. It's the equivalent of impressionists today doing Patrick Swayze impressions.
    It's true. Although I suppose you might get the odd Sylvester Stallone or Schwarzenegger impression now, I suppose. But I think society moved more slowly in those days. I seem to remember that in the 80s, the 50s seemed closer to older people then than the 80s does to us now.

That was odd, though. Every impressionist on the telly in the 70s would do Jimmy Cagney, 30 years after his films were popular. It's the equivalent of impressionists today doing Patrick Swayze impressions.
    Yes
    They would also do Humphrey Bogart and talk about gin joints and blue eyesh
    10 characters? Pile of cund.

Quote Originally Posted by Viva Prat Vegas View Post
    Yes
    They would also do Humphrey Bogart and talk about gin joints and blue eyesh
    I wonder how much it was due to people's memories of wartime being so powerful and visceral; seeing Casablanca when it was released, at a time of heightened reality and preception, probably stayed with those people much more clearly than us seeing Star Wars.

I wonder how much it was due to people's memories of wartime being so powerful and visceral; seeing Casablanca when it was released, at a time of heightened reality and preception, probably stayed with those people much more clearly than us seeing Star Wars.
    It's probably more to do with the fact that those old movies were repeated on pretty much constant hard rotation on the BBC in those days.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    It's true. Although I suppose you might get the odd Sylvester Stallone or Schwarzenegger impression now, I suppose. But I think society moved more slowly in those days. I seem to remember that in the 80s, the 50s seemed closer to older people then than the 80s does to us now.
    Depends which old people too; older siblings or merely parents. The latter are really really old and boring and to be largely ignored, in any case. The former are old but old the way you want to be old; cool and with more money, better cars and clothes and Radio 1 playing the music of the Sixties and Seventies all day.
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

"But a lot have found it difficult wearing the number 9 shirt for The Arsenal."