Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Thread: How many other teams have played at Highbury. I was just reading

How many other teams have played at Highbury. I was just reading

QPR played Partizan Belgrade there in 80s as Loftus Road had a plastic pitch.

any others?

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Vegas View Post
    QPR played Partizan Belgrade there in 80s as Loftus Road had a plastic pitch.

any others?
    Didn't England play there once, against Italy? One of our own players got a hatful and half our squad played.
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

"But a lot have found it difficult wearing the number 9 shirt for The Arsenal."

Quote Originally Posted by redgunamo View Post
    Didn't England play there once, against Italy? One of our own players got a hatful and half our squad played.
    Pwopah nawty that got. Another fight was Henry Cooper v Ali.

Yes, Ted Drake scored a hatful and most of the team was actually Arsenal.

Highbury was used as a neutral venue occasionally for FA Cup semis.

Quote Originally Posted by redgunamo View Post
    The Battle of Highbury - 1934. Italy were World Champions, but it didn't count as we didn't take part, so by winning 3-2, England won the World Cup sort of. Seven Arsenal players played but only Drake scored - Brook of Man City got the other two

Quote Originally Posted by Luis Anaconda View Post
    The Battle of Highbury - 1934. Italy were World Champions, but it didn't count as we didn't take part, so by winning 3-2, England won the World Cup sort of. Seven Arsenal players played but only Drake scored - Brook of Man City got the other two
    You didn't have to look that up, did you?

That's how it should be. Like a boxing title.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    You didn't have to look that up, did you?
    I know Phil Soar and Martin Tyler's history of Arsenal back to front. I've been bought it for Christmas enough times

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Vegas View Post
    That's how it should be. Like a boxing title.
    Ah - but then Scotland would have won it in 67. Not good

I know Phil Soar and Martin Tyler's history of Arsenal back to front. I've been bought it for Christmas enough times
    There really is no excuse for that sort of thing, la. People will be calling you 'Knowledge' if you're not careful.