Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Am I the only one that thought the ref got all three decisions correct?

Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
    I believe that the 'triple punishment' of penalty, red card, and suspension (from next seasons's Europa League group stages) for soft fouls in the box had been removed. After all, if it is a penalty then there has been no denial of a goal-scoring opportunity.

Ridicules red card that ruined the match.
    I didn’t think the Walcott penalty was a penalty at the time and I had no doubt whatsoever the Lewandowski decision was correct.

The yellow v red debate is being caused by the uncertainty created by the referee at the time, his haste perhaps or inexperience perhaps in rushing to the lesser card to then be advised and upgraded by his assistant (which was the correct thing to do, that is why they are there).

Had he just given the red from the off we would have accepted it, moaned of course but briefly and then moved on.

The resultant capitulation and failure in any way to get a hold on the game was a footballing disgrace and embarrassment for our great club. I note Sir C talking in a separate missive about the exuberant celebrations of the Hun as each goal went in, fair fúcks to them and I would expect our players to do the same in a game of such huge importance. They were enjoying themselves. Wd their players.

Wenger has come out and complained a little too much and in the process made himself look an utter ****, my opinion only, and a standpoint which of course most managers would have taken.

My mind goes back to that moment early in the second half when our bearded French world class striker, our main aerial threat, had a free header from about 5-6 yards and failed to convert. In that moment the match went, not the penalty as Bayern appeared to spark into life from their very understandable and comfortable first half slumber.

Quote Originally Posted by SWv2 View Post
    I had no doubt whatsoever the Lewandowski decision was correct.
    How is a penalty not a goal-scoring opportunity?

I think the idea is to strongly discourage preventing *proper* goals by means of giving, or even risking giving, penalties away.

This is, I think, why Gilberto Silva was a great midfielder but a rubbish centre half.
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

"But a lot have found it difficult wearing the number 9 shirt for The Arsenal."

When I said "Lewandowski decision" I simply mean the penalty as I have seen accusations of diving.

A player can be fouled in the box, and therefore a penalty awarded, however the player is not in a direct goal scoring position and may merely be about to assist, or god help us even pre-assist, a team mate.

Koscielny fouled Lewandowski, soft yes perhaps but the ferocity of the push is irrelevant, he made no effort to play the ball and impeded the Pole who was past him and about to strike on goal. He was thus fouled and denied a goal scoring opportunity. Of this I see no debate at all.

When I said "Lewandowski decision" I simply mean the penalty as I have seen accusations of diving.

A player can be fouled in the box, and therefore a penalty awarded, however the player is not in a direct goal scoring position and may merely be about to assist, or god help us even pre-assist, a team mate.

Koscielny fouled Lewandowski, soft yes perhaps but the ferocity of the push is irrelevant, he made no effort to play the ball and impeded the Pole who was past him and about to strike on goal. He was thus fouled and denied a goal scoring opportunity. Of this I see no debate at all.
    He was offside.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Vegas View Post
    A better stat is we played alright when Kos was on the pitch in both legs.
    Ah yes, wasn't it 1-1 when he went off injured? And didn't we have a couple of very good chances towards the end of the first half to make it 2-1? Ozil I seem to recall being one of them.

Hard to remember all this football stuff when you're

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    He was offside.
    And it was a dive.
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

"But a lot have found it difficult wearing the number 9 shirt for The Arsenal."

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    He was offside.
    I must admit I have no idea if he was offside or not as at no point during BT review of events did I see or hear this alluded to, merely the award of the pen and card.

First I heard any reference to this was AW crying like a little bitch instead of accepting defeat and perhaps expressing regret and even anger at how his team capitulated and failed to react in a proper way to the events on the pitch.

Can I come back to you tomorrow having watched the recorded highlights again later?

I must admit I have no idea if he was offside or not as at no point during BT review of events did I see or hear this alluded to, merely the award of the pen and card.

First I heard any reference to this was AW crying like a little bitch instead of accepting defeat and perhaps expressing regret and even anger at how his team capitulated and failed to react in a proper way to the events on the pitch.

Can I come back to you tomorrow having watched the recorded highlights again later?
    It's really not that important. It's only a game.

Quote Originally Posted by World's End Stella View Post
    Ah yes, wasn't it 1-1 when he went off injured? And didn't we have a couple of very good chances towards the end of the first half to make it 2-1? Ozil I seem to recall being one of them.

Hard to remember all this football stuff when you're
    Xhaka had a good chance but it went right to the keeper.