Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: On Friday I have to attend a meeting in Coventry followed by

On Friday I have to attend a meeting in Coventry followed by

a meeting in Milton Keynes.

As you can see, this is not a pleasing list.

Have any awimbers experienced one day containing two more depressing locations?

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post

I think I have been to Milton Keynes.
    Well I know I have but I wasn't sure if I missed something as there was nothing there a shopping centre and endless roads with trees down the middle.

Though the Marshall factory is there.

I had to go to Peterborough once. Only one place but I'm sure it is as depressing as two

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Vegas View Post
    I think I have been to Milton Keynes.
    Well I know I have but I wasn't sure if I missed something as there was nothing there a shopping centre and endless roads with trees down the middle.

Though the Marshall factory is there.
    It is a soulless hellhole, p. Sadly, many motor manufacturers have HQs there so I have been visiting it regularly for many, many years. Often I used to have to overnight, which means a night in a Travel Tavern and dinner in a Harvester-style thing

Quote Originally Posted by Luis Anaconda View Post
    I had to go to Peterborough once. Only one place but I'm sure it is as depressing as two
    Funnily enough I used to have some good weekends in Peterborough. There used to be two aerobatic competitions per season there and there was always a good turn out, so the Saturday night in the Queensgate Hotel could get a bit raucous.

Glasgow and Clydebank?

Quote Originally Posted by SWv2 View Post
    Glasgow and Clydebank?
    I'm going to have to disallow it.

1. Both in Scotland so only count as one place.
    2. Glasgow has a few decent restaurants.

It was a decent call, sw. Don't be disheartened.

At which point I must honour my contractual obligation to defend Coventry, a city I spent two (mostly) enjoyable drug-fuelled years in during my youth. Apart from its great industrial heritage, and home of the glorious Climax factory, plus its two cathedrals, one with an amusing statue of the devil with a big willy, and the picturesque, medieval Spon Street, the city's football team proudly beat Spurs in the FA Cup final for us.

Milton Keynes is completely depressing though.

Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
    At which point I must honour my contractual obligation to defend Coventry, a city I spent two (mostly) enjoyable drug-fuelled years in during my youth. Apart from its great industrial heritage, and home of the glorious Climax factory, plus its two cathedrals, one with an amusing statue of the devil with a big willy, and the picturesque, medieval Spon Street, the city's football team proudly beat Spurs in the FA Cup final for us.

Hmm. I was once having lunch with my man in Coventry, sitting on the terrace of the Pizza Express which overlooks Coventry. He pointed proudly to it. "That," he said, "is the world famous Spon Street."

I confess to being underwhelmed by the view.

Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post

I thought the Ricoh was a top place though that might have been to do with the large Guinness van and roast pork sandwiches in the indoor part next to the rugby ground. Highfield Road I was less keen on though I did witness one of my favourite goals there - Paul Merson chipping Steve Ogrizovic from an angle in the last minute for a 1-0 win