Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pancakes tomorrow, is it?

Quote Originally Posted by Luis Anaconda View Post
    Half day
    You get half a day off to eat pancakes?! No wonder the EU is going down the pan. Thank god for Brexit

Quote Originally Posted by SWv2 View Post
    With the utmost respect for your educated palate I am unsure if pancake Tuesday was really invented for poncey *******s like “seafood pancakes”.
    ISTR hearing that Shrove Tuesday was invented to use up all the remaining food before fasting for the 40 days of Lent.

So any auld grub could have gone in the pancake, which for our ancestors would basically have been turnips, I expect.

Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
    ISTR hearing that Shrove Tuesday was invented to use up all the remaining food before fasting for the 40 days of Lent.

So any auld grub could have gone in the pancake, which for our ancestors would basically have been turnips, I expect.
    Pancakes are associated with the day preceding Lent because they were a way to use up rich foods such as eggs, milk, and sugar, before the fasting season of the 40 days of Lent. In addition, pancakes, in Christianity, symbolize "four pillars of the Christian faith—eggs for creation, flour as the mainstay of the human diet, salt for wholesomeness and milk for purity."

Fish is for Fridays in our world, not Tuesdays.

Quote Originally Posted by SWv2 View Post
    Pancakes are associated with the day preceding Lent because they were a way to use up rich foods such as eggs, milk, and sugar, before the fasting season of the 40 days of Lent. In addition, pancakes, in Christianity, symbolize "four pillars of the Christian faith—eggs for creation, flour as the mainstay of the human diet, salt for wholesomeness and milk for purity."

Fish is for Fridays in our world, not Tuesdays.
    Or as the modern joyless food nazis would have it, eggs for cholesterol, flour for gluten, salt for high blood pressure, and milk for fat.

Down with foodieism.