Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Perfect results from the by-elections last night

The agreement to have fixed term parliaments? I think an election will happen if she is given an excuse and it will make 1983 look like the proverbial vicarage tea party.

Quote Originally Posted by Luis Anaconda View Post
    Why is there not more talk of May holding an early election - or is there? The only thing hampering her is a perceived lack of mandate as PM (yes, I know under our rules we don't elect PM etc). She could put herself in a much stronger position
    Whilst Matthew Paris, as a rule, is wrong about everything, he made the point a few weeks ago that however wide the gap may seem in the polls, a general election is always a risk, and some major event during the campaign could feasibly de-rail the whole thing...

Quote Originally Posted by Luis Anaconda View Post
    Why is there not more talk of May holding an early election - or is there? The only thing hampering her is a perceived lack of mandate as PM (yes, I know under our rules we don't elect PM etc). She could put herself in a much stronger position
    There's the fixed-term parliament thing, but there are ways round that. More important, I think, is the desire to keep the left of the Labour Party in control as long as possible in order to maximise the damage and ensure that there's no worthwhile opposition to make things difficult during the Brexit process. A shattering electoral defeat would force Corbyn out and precipitate a leadership election that a moderate would win. That's the last thing May wants right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    Whilst Matthew Paris, as a rule, is wrong about everything, he made the point a few weeks ago that however wide the gap may seem in the polls, a general election is always a risk, and some major event during the campaign could feasibly de-rail the whole thing...
    That's a good point. Also, people are sick of voting at the moment and being forced to do so again could produce some tricky results due to low turnout, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Mo Britain less Europe View Post
    The agreement to have fixed term parliaments? I think an election will happen if she is given an excuse and it will make 1983 look like the proverbial vicarage tea party.
    Ah - I thought that was just an agreement when the coalition was in place. But yes - it does look that way regarding the outcome.

RE Ukip - the fact that when looking for a leader after Farage, Nuttall, the deputy, wasn't considered until after another leader had come in and resigned and the candidates to replace her completely screwed themselves just shows how little credibility he has. To survive, they needed some prominent defection from the Tories I would say - and if they thought Carswell was in any way that person they deserve to disappear

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    That's a good point. Also, people are sick of voting at the moment and being forced to do so again could produce some tricky results due to low turnout, etc.
    Yep - fair points all round I guess