Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Now THIS is the definition of true solidarity with Muslim women

Quote Originally Posted by World's End Stella View Post
    Not really, there are rather a lot of Muslim women who don't cover up in any way, Monty. I would expect that in the UK the majority don't although I might be wrong.

If a Muslim woman in the UK is uncomfortable with covering up I think she has plenty of examples she could follow to not do so, I doubt she will know or care what Marie Le Pen does. In more conservative Islamic countries where virtually all women cover up I doubt many see it as oppressive and if they did they would look for leadership within their own community, not from a right wing, Christian politician in France.
    But we live in a political era in which such barbaric practices are actively endorsed and promoted by liberal democracies. Do you not consider it important that there are high-profile politicians and public figures helping to kick back against this trend?

Of course, there will be some Muslims who consider it further proof that the West hates muslims. But I do not believe the answer is to indulge this fantasy.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    But I haven't suggested kowtowing in any way. I'm suggesting that if you don't like a country's customs and culture and/or are prepared to abide by same, don't go. As a politician you have a further option: gather your military strength and change the regime, cultures and customs to something more suitable to the 21st century
    Well that's all very well, but do they do that here? No, they do not. Instead they bring their cultural practices in terms of dress and attitudes here and expect us to be OK with that. So which is it? Do we all abide by 'When in Rome' or do none of us?

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    Well that's all very well, but do they do that here? No, they do not. Instead they bring their cultural practices in terms of dress and attitudes here and expect us to be OK with that. So which is it? Do we all abide by 'When in Rome' or do none of us?
    A gentleman is not polite and correctly behaved because other people are, b. He simply behaves well because he is a gentleman.

I'd have expected you to be familiar with the correct form, to be honest.

Did you see that London Fashion Week has introduced a spin-off called London Modest Fashion Week, featuring head coverings?

The corollary of this obviously being that all other clothing is immodest. Lovely stuff.

A gentleman is not polite and correctly behaved because other people are, b. He simply behaves well because he is a gentleman.

It's an absurd argument. So a gay politician visiting Lebanon who was carted off to jail should accept his or her fate, as to not do so would be culturally insensitive?

Were we gentlemen when we stopped suttee, the cult of the thugee or stopped female infanticide?

Quote Originally Posted by Monty92 View Post
    It's an absurd argument. So a gay politician visiting Lebanon who was carted off to jail should accept his or her fate, as to not do so would be culturally insensitive?
    You no read too good, huh?

I'm suggesting that a gay politician, aware that he would be jailed in Lebanon, should not visit Lebanon.

Were we gentlemen when we stopped suttee, the cult of the thugee or stopped female infanticide?
    You no read too good neither.

I have already pointed out that, as a politician, you have the further option of gathering your military forces and changing things if you perceive them as incompatible with decency. I've already said that.

You no read too good, huh?

I'm suggesting that a gay politician, aware that he would be jailed in Lebanon, should not visit Lebanon.
    Can they lock them up just for being gay or do they have to do gay things while in Lebanon?

Can they lock them up just for being gay or do they have to do gay things while in Lebanon?
    I have no idea, I was replying to Monty's somewhat hypothetical question.

Were I gay, and on the verge of visiting Lebanon, you may rest assured I would check the detail.