Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Now THIS is the definition of true solidarity with Muslim women

Now THIS is the definition of true solidarity with Muslim women

Yeah but now there is no meeting. Causing a waste of everywons time

Hmm. I'm a bit troubled by that one. Presumably she would have known that before meeting such a mufti she would be expected to do the medieval thing? So why go? (For the publicity, obviously)

It's a matter of poiliteness, isn't it? When in Rome and all that?

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Vegas View Post
    Yeah but now there is no meeting. Causing a waste of everywons time
    But what stronger message could you send to the muslim world than a potential world leader refusing in a strong but respectful way that she will not participate in such an oppressive practice?

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    Hmm. I'm a bit troubled by that one. Presumably she would have known that before meeting such a mufti she would be expected to do the medieval thing? So why go? (For the publicity, obviously)

It's a matter of poiliteness, isn't it? When in Rome and all that?
    Yeah perhaps it was a publicity stunt. Although she does claim in the video that she met with the highest sunni authority in the world and wasn't required to cover up.

As to your point about politeness. Sure, perhaps she should have allowed the Allan fella to rape her too? That would have been the culturally sensitive thing to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Monty92 View Post
    Yeah perhaps it was a publicity stunt. Although she does claim in the video that she met with the highest sunni authority in the world and wasn't required to cover up.

As to your point about politeness. Sure, perhaps she should have allowed the Allan fella to rape her too? That would have been the culturally sensitive thing to do.
    Yes, to a degree, I think she should have. The point is that when you choose to visit someone's country, you play by their rules, don't you? If you don't like their rules, don't go. If you really don't like their rules, you have the option of campaigning for regime change and so on, but going, and then refusing to play by your host's rules, is rude.

Quote Originally Posted by Monty92 View Post
    But what stronger message could you send to the muslim world than a potential world leader refusing in a strong but respectful way that she will not participate in such an oppressive practice?
    You don't think you're pushing the meaning of 'potential', there? I'm about as likely as she is to be French president.

Yes, to a degree, I think she should have. The point is that when you choose to visit someone's country, you play by their rules, don't you? If you don't like their rules, don't go. If you really don't like their rules, you have the option of campaigning for regime change and so on, but going, and then refusing to play by your host's rules, is rude.
    It's also political opportunism, which is I think what really happened here.

She's fully within her rights to not wear the headscarf, of course. But let's not portray this as a shining example to Muslim women around the world, that's just naïve.

You don't think you're pushing the meaning of 'potential', there? I'm about as likely as she is to be French president.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBlt15IcNYk

It's like complaining that you are required to wear a suit when visiting the palace.... or in Monty's case, no trainers in Stringfellows
    Northern Monkey ... who can't upload a bleeding Avatar