Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Now THIS is the definition of true solidarity with Muslim women

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    Yes, to a degree, I think she should have. The point is that when you choose to visit someone's country, you play by their rules, don't you? If you don't like their rules, don't go. If you really don't like their rules, you have the option of campaigning for regime change and so on, but going, and then refusing to play by your host's rules, is rude.
    Oh, ok, yes, it was rude. Very rude. Most impertinent of her.

But as you well know, there are bigger issues at stake here than social airs and graces.

Quote Originally Posted by World's End Stella View Post
    It's also political opportunism, which is I think what really happened here.

She's fully within her rights to not wear the headscarf, of course. But let's not portray this as a shining example to Muslim women around the world, that's just naïve.
    Oh it was brazenly opportunistic (assuming it was planned), but could it not also be seen as setting an example as well?

Quote Originally Posted by Monty92 View Post
    Yeah perhaps it was a publicity stunt. Although she does claim in the video that she met with the highest sunni authority in the world and wasn't required to cover up.

As to your point about politeness. Sure, perhaps she should have allowed the Allan fella to rape her too? That would have been the culturally sensitive thing to do.
    It's like the bloke who ate the pie on Monday night.

Yeah perhaps it was a publicity stunt. Although she does claim in the video that she met with the highest sunni authority in the world and wasn't required to cover up.

As to your point about politeness. Sure, perhaps she should have allowed the Allan fella to rape her too? That would have been the culturally sensitive thing to do.
    Rather him than me, to be fair.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    Rather him than me, to be fair.
    Have you seen her daughter? Yummy.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    Yes, to a degree, I think she should have. The point is that when you choose to visit someone's country, you play by their rules, don't you? If you don't like their rules, don't go. If you really don't like their rules, you have the option of campaigning for regime change and so on, but going, and then refusing to play by your host's rules, is rude.
    Well I think the larger point is that we don't actually have to keep kowtowing. The cultural cringe of just accepting the barbarism of other nations as though it's OK has become a given and it really oughtn't to be.

Oh it was brazenly opportunistic (assuming it was planned), but could it not also be seen as setting an example as well?
    Not really, there are rather a lot of Muslim women who don't cover up in any way, Monty. I would expect that in the UK the majority don't although I might be wrong.

If a Muslim woman in the UK is uncomfortable with covering up I think she has plenty of examples she could follow to not do so, I doubt she will know or care what Marie Le Pen does. In more conservative Islamic countries where virtually all women cover up I doubt many see it as oppressive and if they did they would look for leadership within their own community, not from a right wing, Christian politician in France.

Have you seen her daughter? Yummy.
    Niece, I think. And are you asking me whether I'd rather rape her?

Well I think the larger point is that we don't actually have to keep kowtowing. The cultural cringe of just accepting the barbarism of other nations as though it's OK has become a given and it really oughtn't to be.
    But I haven't suggested kowtowing in any way. I'm suggesting that if you don't like a country's customs and culture and/or are prepared to abide by same, don't go. As a politician you have a further option: gather your military strength and change the regime, cultures and customs to something more suitable to the 21st century

Niece, I think. And are you asking me whether I'd rather rape her?
    With your looks and personailty b she wouldn't say no
    Northern Monkey ... who can't upload a bleeding Avatar