Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: In London, who are the people protesting against President Trump?

Quote Originally Posted by Monty92 View Post
    I don't agree with your final paragraph as we know that a sense of victimhood is ingrained in many peaceful, law-abiding muslims, just as it is many black people and women. And so stigmatisation does not necessarily point to guilt.
    My point is that, if your priorities are already so fûcked that you take it personally that a terrorism enquiry targets your ethnic and religious group because the perpetrators are 99.999999% likely to be from your ethnic or religious group, the problem is already there and all the 'sensitivity' in the world isn't going to shift it.

Quote Originally Posted by World's End Stella View Post
    So you would have worn the pink ribbon?
    No, because it would have had no practical effect and would simply have been an exercise in virtue-signalling.

Stop trying to make bad analogies fit.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    No, because it would have had no practical effect and would simply have been an exercise in virtue-signalling.

Stop trying to make bad analogies fit.
    It wasn't a bad analogy. I refused to wear the ribbon not because it had no practical effect but because I felt there was an implication that all men were in some way responsible for violence against women, a presumption that I found offensive.

I guess you wouldn't have felt that way, but many did.

It wasn't a bad analogy. I refused to wear the ribbon not because it had no practical effect but because I felt there was an implication that all men were in some way responsible for violence against women, a presumption that I found offensive.

I guess you wouldn't have felt that way, but many did.
    Were women not asked to wear the ribbon too?

Quote Originally Posted by Monty92 View Post
    Were women not asked to wear the ribbon too?
    Nope, men only

Nope, men only
    I don't agree with this on principle, but I wouldn't have felt stigmatised. I'd have just thought that the people whose idea it was are misguided.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    Individuals are to communities as fish are to water. If you're trying to catch a fish, you have to first 'target' the water.
    Oh, that's rather good. One of yours?
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

"But a lot have found it difficult wearing the number 9 shirt for The Arsenal."

Quote Originally Posted by redgunamo View Post
    Oh, that's rather good. One of yours?
    One of Mao's, I believe.