Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Who ate all the pies?

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    Apparently the traditional recipe is very specific. Mince, potato, swede, onion, salt, pepper. Nothing else. Not w ee drop of stock to moisten the beast. Not a sprinkle of parsley for colour, if nothing else. A touch of thyme? No. The essential thing is that it is as grey and bland as possible.
    I though it has some apple in the end as a dessert, and the crust goes in the bin as it's a handle.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Vegas View Post
    I though it has some apple in the end as a dessert, and the crust goes in the bin as it's a handle.
    Sick yokel fúcks.

Apparently the traditional recipe is very specific. Mince, potato, swede, onion, salt, pepper. Nothing else. Not w ee drop of stock to moisten the beast. Not a sprinkle of parsley for colour, if nothing else. A touch of thyme? No. The essential thing is that it is as grey and bland as possible.
    Precisely my experience

A meal for real men, C. AW should feed his pansies proper Cornish pasties to harden 'em up imo.
    When I was young and full of rage
    I hated Tottenham to the core
    But now I've reached a gentler age
    I hate the fùckers even more.

I once made one myself with all the traditional ingredients. Lard pastry, skirt steak, the lot. Made lovingly and, when I ate it, it just tasted like a Cornish Pasty. The only saving grace is to season it properly and go particularly heavy on the pepper. Ketchup was still necessary to give the thing some flavour.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    I once made one myself with all the traditional ingredients. Lard pastry, skirt steak, the lot. Made lovingly and, when I ate it, it just tasted like a Cornish Pasty. The only saving grace is to season it properly and go particularly heavy on the pepper. Ketchup was still necessary to give the thing some flavour.
    I can imagine.

I'm going to have a go at a pork pie this weekend. I've never done the hot lard pastry thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    Stick to your poncy crap then. My dad ate a Cornish pasty for breakfast, lunch, tea and supper and lived til he was 102
    When I was young and full of rage
    I hated Tottenham to the core
    But now I've reached a gentler age
    I hate the fùckers even more.

I can imagine.

I'm going to have a go at a pork pie this weekend. I've never done the hot lard pastry thing.
    Now a pork pie is a different beast altogether. Again, not much to it in terms of ingredients, but infinitely better than a Cornish Pasty. English mustard is a necessity with a pork pie, though, imvho.

It speaks volumes that apparently the South Americans evolved the empanada from Cornish miners who went over there, but with a little imagination and some flexibility on flavouring, they managed to turn it from a stodgy lump into a delicious and delicate treat.

Quote Originally Posted by 71 Guns - channeling the spirit of Mr Hat View Post
    A meal for real men, C. AW should feed his pansies proper Cornish pasties to harden 'em up imo.
    I agree that they appear to need something; I'm just not convinced the The World's Blandest Food Product is the thing.

Quote Originally Posted by 71 Guns - channeling the spirit of Mr Hat View Post
    Stick to your poncy crap then. My dad ate a Cornish pasty for breakfast, lunch, tea and supper and lived til he was 102
    If I had to eat one every day, I'd pray for an early grave