Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 25

Thread: Is there a realistic possibility that our squad is actually ****?

  1. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    Right, but the question was more about the quality in the squad. THat was more a general anti wenger rant.

    Also, I would argue that our current options at centre back are as good as they have been since Adams, Keown and big Sol were around. If we lack world class defenders its because they are incredibly difficult to find. In Koscielny we certainly have one.
    Do you think a strong captain would put up with Sanchez's arm waving tantrums?
    I think they would. And I think another manager would try to stop them doing this.

  2. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    Right, but the question was more about the quality in the squad. THat was more a general anti wenger rant.

    Also, I would argue that our current options at centre back are as good as they have been since Adams, Keown and big Sol were around. If we lack world class defenders its because they are incredibly difficult to find. In Koscielny we certainly have one.
    Yes.. I'd agree with that but it's clear we have no credible third option at the back if either of those get taken out. I think the squads overall very strong, we've missed Santi puling the strings in midfield but there's very little to complain about in terms of depth and ability.
    You only have to look at Chelsea under Maureen last season and Conte this to see the impact of fresh thinking and a change of direction. I'm sure it's not all down to Kante and three at the back.

  3. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    Right, but the question was more about the quality in the squad. THat was more a general anti wenger rant.

    Also, I would argue that our current options at centre back are as good as they have been since Adams, Keown and big Sol were around. If we lack world class defenders its because they are incredibly difficult to find. In Koscielny we certainly have one.
    Indeed - Chelsea and City were both after ones in the summer. Chelsea couldn't find one - or get clubs to sell the ones they wanted - and resorted to Luiz (but you can't help by admire the brilliance of Conte in working the situation) incurred and City resorting to throwing money at a talented but incredibly naive one in Stones. I don't think anyone is in any doubt the Mustafi is overpriced at what we paid, but his early form certainly attracted admiring glances from other clubs

  4. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Luis Anaconda View Post
    Indeed - Chelsea and City were both after ones in the summer. Chelsea couldn't find one - or get clubs to sell the ones they wanted - and resorted to Luiz (but you can't help by admire the brilliance of Conte in working the situation) incurred and City resorting to throwing money at a talented but incredibly naive one in Stones. I don't think anyone is in any doubt the Mustafi is overpriced at what we paid, but his early form certainly attracted admiring glances from other clubs
    Tough to put a realistic price on a player that improves your side. All you can say is that he is worth a lot more than one that doesn't.

    I may be in a minority but I would trust Per and I like Holding. Gabriel I am not sure about yet but in previous years we were desperately short on any kind of cover, let alone decent cover. This is like centre back heaven in comparison.

    I have to say though....I want Ramsey gone.

  5. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by 7sisters View Post
    Yes.. I'd agree with that but it's clear we have no credible third option at the back if either of those get taken out. I think the squads overall very strong, we've missed Santi puling the strings in midfield but there's very little to complain about in terms of depth and ability.
    You only have to look at Chelsea under Maureen last season and Conte this to see the impact of fresh thinking and a change of direction. I'm sure it's not all down to Kante and three at the back.
    As below, I disagree. I think a fit Per is a reliable option and Holding looks good. Nobody has cover at centre back of comparable quality to Koscielny and Mustafi.

    Chelsea are not a great example. You have to remember they were excellent the season before until Mourinho pissed everyone off. I don't think their recovery is a miracle cure, just a well managed return to efficiency and form.

  6. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Luis Anaconda View Post
    Indeed - Chelsea and City were both after ones in the summer. Chelsea couldn't find one - or get clubs to sell the ones they wanted - and resorted to Luiz (but you can't help by admire the brilliance of Conte in working the situation) incurred and City resorting to throwing money at a talented but incredibly naive one in Stones. I don't think anyone is in any doubt the Mustafi is overpriced at what we paid, but his early form certainly attracted admiring glances from other clubs
    I wouldn't say he is overpriced if we get a decent career out of him at the club, similarly Stones at City.

    Outrageous sums of money of course but that is modern football. Rio Ferdinand costs ****loads over a decade ago but considering what Utd got from him you could say he was worth every penny.

  7. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by Pat Vegas View Post
    Do you think a strong captain would put up with Sanchez's arm waving tantrums?
    I think they would. And I think another manager would try to stop them doing this.
    I don't see that as a big issue. The guy works his *******s off and has a go at people. Good! I wish they were all doing it.

    I hated at least 3 of the guys I used to play football with but I still dreaded the weeks where one or more of them weren't available.

    You need a few ****s.

  8. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    I don't see that as a big issue. The guy works his *******s off and has a go at people. Good! I wish they were all doing it.

    I hated at least 3 of the guys I used to play football with but I still dreaded the weeks where one or more of them weren't available.

    You need a few ****s.
    What does all the arm-waving nonsense mean, though? If the manager wanted the whole team to press high up the pitch, and they didn't, then he should be sorting that out, not Sanchez. If a high press isn't the manager's decision, why is Sanchez trying to force his team-mates to join him? It's not up to him to decide the tactics.

  9. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    What does all the arm-waving nonsense mean, though? If the manager wanted the whole team to press high up the pitch, and they didn't, then he should be sorting that out, not Sanchez. If a high press isn't the manager's decision, why is Sanchez trying to force his team-mates to join him? It's not up to him to decide the tactics.
    My mum was right. Sanchez is the problem. He's unsettled the whole team as it's all about him.

    Could be true.

  10. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    What does all the arm-waving nonsense mean, though? If the manager wanted the whole team to press high up the pitch, and they didn't, then he should be sorting that out, not Sanchez. If a high press isn't the manager's decision, why is Sanchez trying to force his team-mates to join him? It's not up to him to decide the tactics.
    I think the intention is to do a half-arsed press. Technically they are supposed to be doing it but they all secretly know they don't really have to unless we are playing Spurs.

    Sanchez takes it literally. Or he is just being a **** and doesn't listen.

    **** knows.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •