Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Actually, I wonder whether the outrage won't soon burn itself out a bit.

Actually, I wonder whether the outrage won't soon burn itself out a bit.

We might return to the resigned, dry wryness of the 70s

People on the terraces said actual funny things. They didn't just spit vile abuse at their own manager.

Deep into another 0-0 draw, one of our blundering, semi-co-ordinated 'footballers' shanks one high and wide onto the roof of the North Bank and the bloke next to me, a fat lad in a flasher's mac tied with string around his waist, says absolutely deadpan, "I'll get it."

I'm actually píssing myself even now. "I'll get it." The lad was a comedy fúcking genius.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post

People on the terraces said actual funny things. They didn't just spit vile abuse at their own manager.

Deep into another 0-0 draw, one of our blundering, semi-co-ordinated 'footballers' shanks one high and wide onto the roof of the North Bank and the bloke next to me, a fat lad in a flasher's mac tied with string around his waist, says absolutely deadpan, "I'll get it."

I'm actually píssing myself even now. "I'll get it." The lad was a comedy fúcking genius.
    I was at a Palace match about 10 years old when our keeper made a good save and held on to the ball well. Big grown up behind us shouted '****ing hell, the ball stuck to his hands like **** to a blanket'

Now I'm a bit older I get what he was saying
    'Seems that I was busy doing something close to nothing
    But different than the day before'

'Met a dwarf that was no good, dressed like Little Red Riding Hood'

'Now you're unemployed, all non-void
    Walkin' round like you're Pretty Boy Floyd'

Quote Originally Posted by barrybueno View Post
    I was at a Palace match about 10 years old when our keeper made a good save and held on to the ball well. Big grown up behind us shouted '****ing hell, the ball stuck to his hands like **** to a blanket'

Now I'm a bit older I get what he was saying

Oh my wd P
    'Seems that I was busy doing something close to nothing
    But different than the day before'

'Met a dwarf that was no good, dressed like Little Red Riding Hood'

'Now you're unemployed, all non-void
    Walkin' round like you're Pretty Boy Floyd'

Oh I would swap today's "matchday experience" for the 70s in a heartbeat. But the resigned humour would need to be accompanied by vibrant terraces (not sterile seats); affordable family-friendly entry, just turn up nice and early home or away (not expensive season tickets or away ticket "credit" schemes); Saturday afternoon kick-offs (not whenever the TV companies decide); an honest approach to fair play (no play-acting but few bookings or sendings-off which ruin the game); etc, etc.

If today's "customers" who are the majority of those in the soulless bowl (you can hardly call them fans) don't see the funny side of the old duffer's blinding impression of the Black Knight from Monty Python as we would have done in the 70s, then blame the social engineers who spoiled the best of what it was.
    Last edited by Yesterday Once More; 02-16-2017 at 07:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Yesterday Once More View Post
    Oh I would swap today's "matchday experience" for the 70s in a heartbeat. But the resigned humour would need to be accompanied by vibrant terraces (not sterile seats); affordable family-friendly entry, just turn up nice and early home or away (not expensive season tickets or away ticket "credit" schemes); Saturday afternoon kick-offs (not whenever the TV companies decide); an honest approach to fair play (no play-acting but few bookings or sendings-off which ruin the game); etc, etc.

If today's "customers" who are the majority of those in the soulless bowl (you can hardly call them fans) don't see the funny side of the old duffer's blinding impression of the Black Knight from Monty Python as we would have done in the 70s, then blame the social engineers who spoiled the best of what it was.
    There are no 'social engineers' to blame. That's just a cop out. People have agency. If they choose to behave like spoilt brats, they're going to have a miserable time. So **** them.

Quote Originally Posted by Yesterday Once More View Post
    Oh I would swap today's "matchday experience" for the 70s in a heartbeat.
    I wouldn't. My first match at THOF was a 0-0 draw vs Stoke where Alan Durban said afterwards 'If you want entertainment, go to a circus'. The match was due to be one of two (remember that?) on MOTD that night, where each game was shown for about 20 minutes...it was so fùcking boring they only showed 5. Good old days? Bòllocks.
    When I was young and full of rage
    I hated Tottenham to the core
    But now I've reached a gentler age
    I hate the fùckers even more.

David O'Leary passes the ball back to Jimmy Rimmer to pick up. Again. Bloke behind me shouts "Good save."

Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
    David O'Leary passes the ball back to Jimmy Rimmer to pick up. Again. Bloke behind me shouts "Good save."

Did you see thon programme on BBC4 about Blencathra? It was rather lovely.

Also this, tonight:

The Lake District: A Wild Year
    9pm, BBC2

A month-by-month account of life around the Lakes that uses time lapse, slo-mo and tilt shift, as well as a lyrical narration by Bernard Cribbins, to build a portrait of communities respecting the rhythms of the seasons and the awesome local landscape. Sheep are herded and sheared; a dry stone wall is repaired; swimmers hit Windermere in spring, followed by tourists in summer; clouds roil overhead. It’s a vivid dream.

Did you see thon programme on BBC4 about Blencathra? It was rather lovely.

Also this, tonight:

The Lake District: A Wild Year
    9pm, BBC2

A month-by-month account of life around the Lakes that uses time lapse, slo-mo and tilt shift, as well as a lyrical narration by Bernard Cribbins, to build a portrait of communities respecting the rhythms of the seasons and the awesome local landscape. Sheep are herded and sheared; a dry stone wall is repaired; swimmers hit Windermere in spring, followed by tourists in summer; clouds roil overhead. It’s a vivid dream.
    Did Cribbins survive the great celebrity cull of 2016?