Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyway, what do I know? I watched Roots last night instead.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Anyway, what do I know? I watched Roots last night instead.

It's fair to say whitey's not coming out of it particularly well as things stand.

I'm hoping we might make a comeback in the later episodes, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    It's fair to say whitey's not coming out of it particularly well as things stand.

There was that great joke in the 80s. "I'm not saying my mate's racist but he recorded Roots and watched it backwards so it had a happy ending."

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    There was that great joke in the 80s. "I'm not saying my mate's racist but he recorded Roots and watched it backwards so it had a happy ending."

FFS :reversespoilers:

So did I. Arsenal had the good grace to fall apart in time for me to turn off.

Its pretty hard to watch at times (Roots, I mean)

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    So did I. Arsenal had the good grace to fall apart in time for me to turn off.

Its pretty hard to watch at times (Roots, I mean)
    Yeah, the first episode with the supposedly idyllic life in Islamic Africa was pretty risible, mind. Apparently, black people just ate and drank, sang, danced and uttered cod philosophy all day before we turned up.

Yeah, the first episode with the supposedly idyllic life in Islamic Africa was pretty risible, mind. Apparently, black people just ate and drank, sang, danced and uttered cod philosophy all day before we turned up.
    I've not seen the show but that bit sounds pretty accurate, apart from the Islamic bit.

It's not easy to explain to Westerners but Africans are not industrious, creative or productive, by nature.

It's all those mild Winters, I reckon.
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

"But a lot have found it difficult wearing the number 9 shirt for The Arsenal."

Quote Originally Posted by redgunamo View Post
    I've not seen the show but that bit sounds pretty accurate, apart from the Islamic bit.

It's not easy to explain to Westerners but Africans are not industrious, creative or productive, by nature.

This sounds like an excuse you use for not doing housework, mate.

This sounds like an excuse you use for not doing housework, mate.
    I don't need an excuse; I married a German.
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

"But a lot have found it difficult wearing the number 9 shirt for The Arsenal."

Quote Originally Posted by redgunamo View Post

It's funny you should say that, but I'm always struck by the difference between African 'poverty' and similar conditions on the sub-continent. In India one sees the blank-eyed hopelessness of the poor, able to maintain the Asian squat under a shady tree for hours whilst awaiting their fate, whilst in Africa, certainly for the last 10 years, one sees bustle and industry and an apparent determination to do something about it. wd africans imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    It's funny you should say that, but I'm always struck by the difference between African 'poverty' and similar conditions on the sub-continent. In India one sees the blank-eyed hopelessness of the poor, able to maintain the Asian squat under a shady tree for hours whilst awaiting their fate, whilst in Africa, certainly for the last 10 years, one sees bustle and industry and an apparent determination to do something about it. wd africans imo.
    But can they do it on a wet Wednesday in Hartlepool?

I'm just a bit worried that red has started channeling the spirit of Ron Noades.