Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Been reading a few stories about the rise of hate crimes since

Been reading a few stories about the rise of hate crimes since

the referendum. What i was not aware of until now is these "crimes" are actually reports submitted online, and they can also be done anonymously. Surely the papers must get bored of the mud slinging and scare mongering every day?

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Goat Sverige View Post
    the referendum. What i was not aware of until now is these "crimes" are actually reports submitted online, and they can also be done anonymously. Surely the papers must get bored of the mud slinging and scare mongering every day?
    I read a funny article recently about divorces caused by brexit.
    Not obvious differences, but one older English couple. He voted to leave and I wanted to stay so that was the end of our 30 year old marriage.
    Any excuse imo

The irony is that you can be almost certain the biggest spike in abuse and vitriol has been that experienced by Brexit voters. Except the kind of people to vote Brexit aren't generally the type to cry to the police if someone said something mean to them.

Oh yes. There was that mental professor who objected to Amber Rudd saying in a speech that the government had a duty to ensure that British people had decent jobs. He reported her to the police for this hate crime. Now the police told him to fúck off, as there clearly weren't grounds to arrst her, but the report still goes on the statistics as a hate crime.

Idiots.

It's all böllocks. Even that Polish bloke who got battered in Harlow they eventually had to admit had nothing to do with hate crime (having trumpeted it as such for months of course).

This is worth a read

http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2017/02...e-crime-spike/

Scaremongering has been the Daily Mail and Daily Express's raison d'être for decades now - why are so concerned this time?

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    Oh yes. There was that mental professor who objected to Amber Rudd saying in a speech that the government had a duty to ensure that British people had decent jobs. He reported her to the police for this hate crime. Now the police told him to fúck off, as there clearly weren't grounds to arrst her, but the report still goes on the statistics as a hate crime.

Idiots.
    It has not been recorded as a hate crime, but a non-crime hate incident FACT

Quote Originally Posted by Luis Anaconda View Post
    It has not been recorded as a hate crime, but a non-crime hate incident FACT
    A non-crime hate incident, is it?

Well thank God for that, then.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    A non-crime hate incident, is it?

Well thank God for that, then.
    Not to be confused with a non-incident crime.

Quote Originally Posted by Monty92 View Post
    The irony is that you can be almost certain the biggest spike in abuse and vitriol has been that experienced by Brexit voters. Except the kind of people to vote Brexit aren't generally the type to cry to the police if someone said something mean to them.
    Well of course one of the unmentioned 'hate crimes' would be class hatred of course directed towards the lower classes - as would hatred towards the elderly. And both those would have seen a massive spike since the referendum emanating from Remain voters. But, as you say, of course, those people don't see themselves as victims and therefore wouldn't report abuse.

I think it's the class thing that I find most interesting about Brexit. The sneering, patronising contempt of the bien pensant middle classes for the working classes is one thing, but that can be disguised as pity for the easily-led plebs. More interesting is the way that those classes feel about those they see as 'their own' who voted Leave. Many of them hate us and see us as traitors because we voted the same way as that horrid racist Farage man and his horrid racist pleb followers and not with our own. I regularly get a palpable sense of shock and horror from people because I'm middle-class, well-educated, well-spoken and work in the media, but am happy to say I voted Leave. It really is quite extraordinary how bound up with class identity this issue is for some people.