Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Luis Anaconda - Luis Anaconda – remind me of your belief that Wenger didn’t give

Luis Anaconda - Luis Anaconda – remind me of your belief that Wenger didn’t give

Ospina an assurance that he’ll remain our Champions League goalie through the knock out phases subject to form?

Quote Originally Posted by Monty92 View Post
    Ospina an assurance that he’ll remain our Champions League goalie through the knock out phases subject to form?
    Wenger didn't give Ospina an assurance that he’ll remain our Champions League goalie through the knock out phases. By adding the subject to form, you are basically agreeing with what I said in the first place i.e. as he actually said and I believe repeated this week, he maintains the right to change keeper whenever he wants. That was my point, which you mystifyingly failed to grasp then and seemed intent on making the same point now.

Interesting situation none-the-less, given the fairly strong rumours that Wenger was considering dropping Cech at the weekend, it seems logical that he should continue with Ospina for now

Quote Originally Posted by Luis Anaconda View Post
    Wenger didn't give Ospina an assurance that he’ll remain our Champions League goalie through the knock out phases. By adding the subject to form, you are basically agreeing with what I said in the first place i.e. as he actually said and I believe repeated this week, he maintains the right to change keeper whenever he wants. That was my point, which you mystifyingly failed to grasp then and seemed intent on making the same point now.

Interesting situation none-the-less, given the fairly strong rumours that Wenger was considering dropping Cech at the weekend, it seems logical that he should continue with Ospina for now
    No, I read between the lines of Ospina staying at the club last summer by making the, I think, entirely reasonable assumption that Wenger had promised him he'd be our Champions League keeper, and you derided me for doing so.

Quote Originally Posted by monty92 View Post
    no, i read between the lines of ospina staying at the club last summer by making the, i think, entirely reasonable assumption that wenger had promised him he'd be our champions league keeper, and you derided me for doing so.
    you're just making things up.

No, I read between the lines of Ospina staying at the club last summer by making the, I think, entirely reasonable assumption that Wenger had promised him he'd be our Champions League keeper, and you derided me for doing so.
    Still do deride you for it, for reasons outlined above

Still do deride you for it, for reasons outlined above
    But my original argument included the "subject to form" caveat. Yet you still derided it.

Surprisingly, I don't believe Ospina forced Wenger to promise that even if he chucked three balls in his own net he'd still be obliged to play him in the next CL game.

But my original argument included the "subject to form" caveat. Yet you still derided it.

Surprisingly, I don't believe Ospina forced Wenger to promise that even if he chucked three balls in his own net he'd still be obliged to play him in the next CL game.
    Among other things, the point we are mocking you for - you seem to want to leave sw out of this and he was just as much deriding you as me - is that the caveat makes the whole promise utterly meaningless

Besides you are being slightly disingenuous to suggest it was just that Wenger promised him, you said it did it as a result of a threat from Ospina to leave, which Wenger caved into. Nothing that has happened - or been said - to suggest that to be true
    Your original comment:
    "So reading between the lines of Wenger’s comments I assume that Ospina said he’d only stay if he got to play in the Champions League/domestic cup games".

and you derided me for doing so.
    I think he derided you for being a petulant yappy noser Monty .

I doubt Wenger makes selection promises to any player.

Among other things, the point we are mocking you for - you seem to want to leave sw out of this and he was just as much deriding you as me - is that the caveat makes the whole promise utterly meaningless

Besides you are being slightly disingenuous to suggest it was just that Wenger promised him, you said it did it as a result of a threat from Ospina to leave, which Wenger caved into. Nothing that has happened - or been said - to suggest that to be true
    Your original comment:
    "So reading between the lines of Wenger’s comments I assume that Ospina said he’d only stay if he got to play in the Champions League/domestic cup games".
    That is still a reasonable assumption for me to have made, although by couching it in tabloid terms like '"threat" you've made it sound a bit like a conspiracy theory, which was not my intention.

I merely think that it's entirely reasonable to imagine that Wenger asked Ospina to stay and his decision to do so was made on the basis that Wenger said he'd be his CL keeper, subject to form. And I fail to believe you don't agree 100% with this.
    Last edited by Monty92; 02-15-2017 at 01:38 PM.