Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: A little while ago a picture of some women from Sweden's "feminist government"

Quote Originally Posted by World's End Stella View Post
    Below is a picture of Yazidis women. Yazidis are not Muslims, Monty, but they are from the Middle East. Notice anything about the way they dress?

Attachment 464
    Do you think their dress might in some way be affected by their living in a majority Islamic country where not to dress that way would invite opprobrium and unwanted attention at best and outright violence at worst?

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    Below is a picture of some women who live at the same latitude as Riyadh. Do you notice anything about the way they dress?

Attachment 465
    Blimey. Always with the sideways with you, innit?

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    Blimey. Always with the sideways with you, innit?
    Still oppressing the chinee, eh? You're obsessed, man.

Do you think their dress might in some way be affected by their living in a majority Islamic country where not to dress that way would invite opprobrium and unwanted attention at best and outright violence at worst?
    When has a Yazidi ever been persecuted?

Quote Originally Posted by Monty92 View Post
    Yes, and there is a code of modesty for women in Orthodox Judaism too. And I'm sure you'd see feminists gleefully wrapping themselves in the respective clothing were they to visit somewhere like Mea She'arim in Jerusalem where wearing head scarves is a "local custom" for women.

And they would be hypocritical c*nts for doing so. As my feminist girlfriend was when she wore one during our visit.

What is your point?
    Honestly, Monty. You really do struggle with deductive logic and following an argument sometimes. You're like a mini version of Jorge.

You made the point that the cultural imperative to dress modestly came from Islam and Islam alone. I have just shown you a photo of women from the same region of the world who are not Muslims but who dress the same way.

If you don't get the point now, I'm not going to reveal it to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Monty92 View Post
    When has a Yazidi ever been persecuted?

WES is, of course, making the accurate - albeit entirely disingenuous - point that Islam per se does not require the veiling of women. This does, however, ignore the fact that the increasingly dominant and reactionary forms of Islam such as the form of Shia practised in Iran and the Wahabbism propagated by Saudi Arabia very much do insist on veiling - be it officially or unofficially enforced - which is why you see so many women in this country of South Asian origin (where such veiling isn't really a tradition) dressing in this way.

Honestly, Monty. You really do struggle with deductive logic and following an argument sometimes. You're like a mini version of Jorge.

You made the point that the cultural imperative to dress modestly came from Islam and Islam alone. I have just shown you a photo of women from the same region of the world who are not Muslims but who dress the same way.

Here are some women from that well known bastion of Arabic culture, Brunei.

brunei.jpeg

Please show me where I said Islam and Islam alone?

Yes, quite possibly. Although I expect that is just one of many influences, the others being historically and culturally oriented.

But to simply say that women cover up because Islam forces them to is incorrect and reinforces a prejudice which is unhelpful.

WES is, of course, making the accurate - albeit entirely disingenuous - point that Islam per se does not require the veiling of women. This does, however, ignore the fact that the increasingly dominant and reactionary forms of Islam such as the form of Shia practised in Iran and the Wahabbism propagated by Saudi Arabia very much do insist on veiling - be it officially or unofficially enforced - which is why you see so many women in this country of South Asian origin (where such veiling isn't really a tradition) dressing in this way.
    But we know that the pervasiveness of head coverings in Islamic societies is rooted in the Islamic teachings on female modesty.

Or to put it another way, just because slavery was once pervasive in non Islamic societies does not change the fact that the current use of slavery by ISIS is rooted in Islamic teachings.