Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: It's only 10 points :cloud9: it's on

Quote Originally Posted by Pokster View Post
    Surely it depends on the expectations of the club before the season begins.. a manager at Chelsea and Arsenal (for example) willbe judged completely differently than a manager at West Brom.

So it isn't all about results
    So Pochettino is all that's wonderful because Spurs expect to be shít, and Wenger is useless because Arsenal expect to win the league?

I've heard some nonsense in my time, but this probably takes the chocolate Hob Nob.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    So Pochettino is all that's wonderful because Spurs expect to be shít, and Wenger is useless because Arsenal expect to win the league?

I've heard some nonsense in my time, but this probably takes the chocolate Hob Nob.
    Yes. Essentially it is the argument of the spoilt brat who expects to get a top of the range bike for Christmas and is outraged when they receive the lower-spec version versus the relatively impoverished child who does not expect the top-of-the-range bike and for whom the the lower-spec version is more than they ever expected.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    Yes. Essentially it is the argument of the spoilt brat who expects to get a top of the range bike for Christmas and is outraged when they receive the lower-spec version versus the relatively impoverished child who does not expect the top-of-the-range bike and for whom the the lower-spec version is more than they ever expected.
    This is also expressed by the whine, 'But the club told us that we were moving to the Emirates in order to win things'.

One is reminded almost daily of Spoilt Bástard from Viz. Timmy's everywhere.

So one doesn't judge a manger by results?

OK.
    Um, no. That's not what I said and you know it. Now stop it!

Speaking of people with low expectations, I liked this quote:

"every member of the shadow cabinet is capable of becoming leader."

Weren't about half them incapable of gaining a place in the shadow cabinet six months ago

Sorry, I don't remember saying either of those things.

MP is judged as he SEEMS to be improving Spurs each season, AW is judged as Arsenal seem to be treading water every season
    Northern Monkey ... who can't upload a bleeding Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Luis Anaconda View Post
    Speaking of people with low expectations, I liked this quote:

"every member of the shadow cabinet is capable of becoming leader."

Weren't about half them incapable of gaining a place in the shadow cabinet six months ago
    To be fair, dear old Jezza has really lowered the bar in terms of qualifications to be leader. Anyone capable of going a day without saying or doing something that drops them two percentage points in the polls is now considered stunningly over-qualified.

Mind you, I did like that description of Angela Rayner as "a bit charity shop-looking” and “weird”

I do believe Gazidis said the move to the Grove was to enable us to "compete with any club in the world"

That sort of statement does sort of set a level of expectation for fans.
    I didn't realise he only meant competing on a financial level. . .

edit: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/20220153
    “Other clubs never came into my thoughts once I knew Arsenal wanted to sign me.”

Quote Originally Posted by IUFG View Post
    I do believe Gazidis said the move to the Grove was to enable us to "compete with any club in the world"

That sort of statement does sort of set a level of expectation for fans.
    I didn't realise he only meant competing on a financial level. . .

edit: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/20220153
    Well, yes. 'Compete'. Not 'win everything every year because it will be easy.'

To be fair, dear old Jezza has really lowered the bar in terms of qualifications to be leader. Anyone capable of going a day without saying or doing something that drops them two percentage points in the polls is now considered stunningly over-qualified.

Mind you, I did like that description of Angela Rayner as "a bit charity shop-looking” and “weird”
    Is there no way they could get Ken Loach in?