Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sir C how was your Sexy lamb and lentils?

Quote Originally Posted by World's End Stella View Post
    Hmmm - I may have to float the garage idea past her, no way will I get one in the kitchen.

Do you know they're called buffalo wings because they were popularized in Buffalo, NY? An absolute sh1thole of a city in the middle of the snow belt in upper NY state. We used to drive down there just to have the wings. The standard sports bar back then in Buffalo had no menu. If you asked for one they laughed and said 'we have wings and we have pizza. Tell us how hot you want the wings and what you want on your pizza'.

Pitchers of lager, buckets of hot wings, plates of pizza and the NFL games on about 25 screens.
    There is no doubt that the Yanqui has a decent grasp of junk food and breakfast, that much I will allow.

I am reminded of going in to breakfast on my first morning at the Clift in San Fran. The first item on the menu was an egg white omelette with spinach, so I immediately left, walked around the corner to a diner, sat at the counter and feated on hash and eggs and links and 'bacon'. Well, not really the 'bacon'.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    You can give it a good scrub, though. And you're aware that the oil heats up to 200 degrees C, yes? Enough to kill pretty much any germ at all?
    'give it a good scrub'? What, have I grown títs? Am I your mum?

I'm not convinced by the whole 'pulled pork' BBQ thing. Too sweet.

Here's what I'd do with a pork shoulder. Rub it with fennel, salt and pepper, slow roast it (overnight is best), then whack up the heat at the end to get top crackling. Then tear bits off it and the crackling off and serve on a bed of potato and butternut squash mash with crispy onions and a jus made from the cooking juices.

You're welcome.
    I was thinking about that yesterday. I thought pulled pork would be a wonderful dish from all the hype.
    looked nice but doesn't do anything for me.

The missus won't let me buy one. She hates the smell of the oil and claims it infests the kitchen.

You know, in all my years in England I have yet to find a restaurant that deep fries its chicken wings. And baking them is heinous.

I trust you know the buffalo wing recipe? 2/3 Durkee Franks hot sauce, 1/3 melted butter, wings served with blue cheese dressing on the side?

God I need to be in a sports bar in NY right now.
    Costco do a massive tray of buffalo wings for £5 something they are ace.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    There is no doubt that the Yanqui has a decent grasp of junk food and breakfast, that much I will allow.

I am reminded of going in to breakfast on my first morning at the Clift in San Fran. The first item on the menu was an egg white omelette with spinach, so I immediately left, walked around the corner to a diner, sat at the counter and feated on hash and eggs and links and 'bacon'. Well, not really the 'bacon'.
    Yes. Try as I might to sneer, there is something wonderfully exciting about an American breakfast menu. Its the sheer range of possibilities that does it, I think.

Presumably, some poor b@stard had to not drink?
    Exactly.

It was my mate who loved driving people down, giving them a brief tour of Buffalo then walking into the bar where he got a bit of the 'Norm from Cheers' treatment from the owners. He preferred this to getting hammered.

We always thought he was gay, tbh.

Yes. Try as I might to sneer, there is something wonderfully exciting about an American breakfast menu. Its the sheer range of possibilities that does it, I think.
    Breakfast and lunch they do better than us, and casual food generally. Dinner gets a bit samey in the US of A. There are towns around the country where they only local restaurant option is the local prime rib place where you get prime rib, a baked potatoe and a salad bar. Damnably boring.

But breakfast, NY diners for lunch and sports bars for beer and casual food.

Breakfast and lunch they do better than us, and casual food generally. Dinner gets a bit samey in the US of A. There are towns around the country where they only local restaurant option is the local prime rib place where you get prime rib, a baked potatoe and a salad bar. Damnably boring.

In my experience, to be sure to eat well in the states, one should eat nothing but breakfast, snack food, barbecue and sandwiches.

I went to a so called sports bar in NYC to watch our game v Utd around 2003/4, 1-1 draw anyway. I had scouted a suitable establishment in advance of my trip but of course when I found it turns out to be a major spot and thus jammers.

Needless to say you already know my view of watching football matches in pubs so this was arguably the worst such experience ever, surrounded by fúcking spastic Yanks spouting ****e and then having to pay a premium due to the concept of tipping every time I wanted a beer which from memory was quite a few as I was alone.

Wall to wall utter ****ery to be blunt.

Go London Arsenal!!

Go fúck yourself you idiot

Indeed, I went to a place in New Orleans famous for at least six versions of Eggs Benedict