Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Winter is coming.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Goat Sverige View Post
    All because of high pressure sitting over Scandinavia, which means i'm getting -10'C temps and not a bit of snow
    Don't you worry your pretty little head, B. The climate's in good, capable hands

"Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

"But a lot have found it difficult wearing the number 9 shirt for The Arsenal."

Quote Originally Posted by World's End Stella View Post
    As I said, Charles, it's the monotony of it all that is driving them away. I should have thought Villa fans had a rather exciting, although ultimately disappointing, season last year.

Plus, we are the Arsenal, so we have higher expectations. It's important that, I think.
    Yes, I suppose those who started watching football after Euro 96 probably do have 'higher expectations'. The arrogance and sheer naiveté of such a view is, frankly, distressing to contemplate.

As I said, Charles, it's the monotony of it all that is driving them away. I should have thought Villa fans had a rather exciting, although ultimately disappointing, season last year.

Plus, we are the Arsenal, so we have higher expectations. It's important that, I think.
    I know a Villa fan.

On Saturday past I called round his house around 6pm and he answered the door in his Villa jersey, they were on the television playing Forest I think. Now he had changed into his shirt for the game as he had been round my gaff about 3 hours earlier in normal attire. In his defence he was also drinking beer.

Thing is half-time arrived and he then took it upon himself to show me his new Scalextrix set. This is neither euphemism nor word of a lie. God's honest truth, as such, if you believe in God. I don't for the record.

In short a fúcking massive deviant but not a bad man.

I made good my exit.

I think there's always been something of an essential disconnect between Wenger's later-period football, His philosophy, if you will, and what the supporters want and expect to see, footballistically.

It was OK at first because of the success He'd enjoyed in the recent past; people let it go and were fascinated to see what would happen and if we really could dominate football, or at least win the European Cup.

Now though, as you suggest, things have moved on a bit. Nobody really wants to see Him or us tank but the resentment stems, I think, from the fact that the answer seems to be staring everyone in the face; just go back to doing what He used to do when He was God.
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    Yes, I suppose those who started watching football after Euro 96 probably do have 'higher expectations'. The arrogance and sheer naiveté of such a view is, frankly, distressing to contemplate.
    Much of the moaning comes from the old guard though, doesn't it. And you yourself admit you no longer care to attend.

Quote Originally Posted by redgunamo View Post
    I think there's always been something of an essential disconnect between Wenger's later-period football, His philosophy, if you will, and what the supporters want and expect to see, footballistically.

It was OK at first because of the success He'd enjoyed in the recent past; people let it go and were fascinated to see what would happen and if we really could dominate football, or at least win the European Cup.

Now though, as you suggest, things have moved on a bit. Nobody really wants to see Him or us tank but the resentment stems, I think, from the fact that the answer seems to be staring everyone in the face; just go back to doing what He used to do when He was God.
    Good one, red. Insightful, accurate, well written, well played.

I assume this is one of your 'sane' days?