Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Good news. Today is a day of zero tolerance to FGM.

Quote Originally Posted by World's End Stella View Post
    I expect the difficulty is that virtually every case of FGM is done at the request of or, at the very least, with the compliance of the parent. Children tend to be averse to having their parents sent to jail.

Mind you, I had my son circumcised, Charles. You don't want to send me to jail, do you?
    One suspects that other people are aware of what is going on, but choose to remain silent. One suspects this is true of other matters within the community in question.

I'm not really a fan of having one's child's genitals butchered, really.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    Yes, I wondered about that. Of course, looking at the number of prosecutions for the offence, it would appear that we do tolerate it, yes.
    Assuming the Imam is the cutter, it's probably a tough call for someone who has just been mutilated by the representative of Allah (ffs) to report the crime.

Quote Originally Posted by AFC East View Post
    Assuming the Imam is the cutter, it's probably a tough call for someone who has just been mutilated by the representative of Allah (ffs) to report the crime.
    There will be plenty of others within the family and community who know exactly what has happened.

One suspects that other people are aware of what is going on, but choose to remain silent. One suspects this is true of other matters within the community in question.

I'm not really a fan of having one's child's genitals butchered, really.
    If it makes you feel better, he seems a very well adjusted boy, does well in school, likes football and loves his father dearly. And I'm sure the infection in his todger will go away at some point in his life. All good.

There will be plenty of others within the family and community who know exactly what has happened.
    But doesn't the same apply? I am not condoning their silence, merely trying to understand it. It's entirely a muslim community problem, and I am not sure how those on the outside can really change anything. Well aside from zero tolerance day, that'll do it.

Quote Originally Posted by AFC East View Post
    But doesn't the same apply? I am not condoning their silence, merely trying to understand it. It's entirely a muslim community problem, and I am not sure how those on the outside can really change anything. Well aside from zero tolerance day, that'll do it.
    Is that true? I thought the practice was largely confined to some part of north eastern Africa and spanned all religions in that area.

Quote Originally Posted by World's End Stella View Post
    Is that true? I thought the practice was largely confined to some part of north eastern Africa and spanned all religions in that area.
    Here is what that well known right wing Islamophobic mainstay The Independent says.

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-st...-a7564571.html