Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Good Trump / Bad Trump

Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
    Of course, no-platforming speakers is wrong, especially with violence. One wonders what his actual commitment to free speech is though, given his authoritarian impulses. All too often, people only defend free speech when it is saying things they agree with. Genuine defenders of free speech must support the freedom for people to say things they disagree with too.
    I very much doubt he has any substantive beliefs about free speech. My guess is that his world view is shaped by his experiences as a businessman. And if you're a businessman, if you think someone is talking sh*t, or being unfair or disparaging towards you, you're unlikely to give a f*ck about their inalienable freedom to do so. You are simply going to shut them down.

The problem is that as a businessman, if you shut people down, few people will complain as it's accepted that it's what tough businessman do when they feel wronged. As President you get benders like us pontificating about free speech.

Quote Originally Posted by Monty92 View Post
    I very much doubt he has any substantive beliefs about free speech. My guess is that his world view is shaped by his experiences as a businessman. And if you're a businessman, if you think someone is talking sh*t, or being unfair or disparaging towards you, you're unlikely to give a f*ck about their inalienable freedom to do so. You are simply going to shut them down.

The problem is that as a businessman, if you shut people down, few people will complain as it's accepted that it's what tough businessman do when they feel wronged. As President you get benders like us pontificating about free speech.
    Benders like us didn't vote for or elect him though. Those that did are loving every minute of it. They know he's a businessman.
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

"But a lot have found it difficult wearing the number 9 shirt for The Arsenal."