Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: If Wenger does decide to not sign a new deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    I think the only major trouble I ever saw inside the ground used to be when I went to West Ham's home games with my mate. The police used to stream out of that odd little building in the corner of Upton Park and start laying into everyone whilst being roundly abused by all other parts of the ground.
    It's really impossible to imagine just how commonplace it was, and how little notice we took. Obviously it made an impression if there was a big ruck, but minor disturbances broke out all the time and you just ignored them. I often think back at just how violent those days were in general.

I miss it, really.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    It's really impossible to imagine just how commonplace it was, and how little notice we took. Obviously it made an impression if there was a big ruck, but minor disturbances broke out all the time and you just ignored them. I often think back at just how violent those days were in general.

I miss it, really.
    There seemed to be a sort of pantomime element to it. Nobody was terribly shocked, it was very much part of the afternoon's entertainment, basically.

I imagine it didn't seem that way if someone's size 10s were connecting with your temple, of course.

There seemed to be a sort of pantomime element to it. Nobody was terribly shocked, it was very much part of the afternoon's entertainment, basically.

I imagine it didn't seem that way if someone's size 10s were connecting with your temple, of course.
    No, exactly. But more than that; when I was 12 or 13, walking home from the bus stop was fraught with danger. Any set of lads (or, indeed, individual lad) one encountered was quite likely to batter you, so you chose your route home accordingly. It was like living in a war zone, really. A strange time. And then it all just sort of stopped.

No, that's what made people like me fall in love with the game.

And London.
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

"But a lot have found it difficult wearing the number 9 shirt for The Arsenal."