Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Are there any channels that actually show history programmes.

Quote Originally Posted by World's End Stella View Post
    I have all 26 episodes on my iPad, downloaded from youtube. Genius. Larry is quite wonderful.
    Also, each episode starts with the THAMES telly thingy which always sends shivers down my spine.

First line: 'Down this road, on a summer day in 1944, the soldiers came...' Larry

Also, each episode starts with the THAMES telly thingy which always sends shivers down my spine.

First line: 'Down this road, on a summer day in 1944, the soldiers came...' Larry
    Oradour Sur Glane. I fulfilled a lifetime's wish and visited it a couple of years ago. Well worth so doing.

Yes, as Sir C says, though, it's a shame that they didn't know about Ultra, since several of the episodes - particularly the one on The Battle of the Atlantic - are simply nonsense without that knowledge. Not their fault, of course, but even so.

Nonetheless, as a unique collection of first-hand accounts it's still enormously valuable.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Vegas View Post
    like about hitler and that?

The so called history channels I have seem to have men selling items in a pawn shop or looking through storage lockers.
    BBC 4, Yesterday, History channel. Worth having a search on those a just setting to record when you see the one you want

Quote Originally Posted by PSRB View Post
    BBC 4, Yesterday, History channel. Worth having a search on those a just setting to record when you see the one you want
    Oh, yes. And the BBC iPlayer keeps an archive of old docs as well.

Quote Originally Posted by PSRB View Post
    I always end up watching weird shows on TLC type channels. Like Extreme Cheapskates. That can't be real. Woman cooking a lasagne wrapped in foil in the dishwasher to save money by doing the dishes at the same time.

Only using one light bulb and she takes it with her from room to room to avoid turning on unnecessary lights.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Vegas View Post
    I will have a look for this.
    I have the DVD. You can borrow it if you like.

Also watch out for the Battlefield series which has dozens of episodes and gets run on one of the channels that shows actual history. It covers loads of specific battles in some detail, with all the leaders, hardware and tactics, with reels and reels of film footage and dramatic music. Some of the series are narrated by Tim Piggot-Smith, who has a good voice for this sort of thing imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
    I have the DVD. You can borrow it if you like.

Also watch out for the Battlefield series which has dozens of episodes and gets run on one of the channels that shows actual history. It covers loads of specific battles in some detail, with all the leaders, hardware and tactics, with reels and reels of film footage and dramatic music. Some of the series are narrated by Tim Piggot-Smith, who has a good voice for this sort of thing imo.
    My word! Didn't you people go to school?! Surely there was more than enough of that sort of thing about then!
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

"But a lot have found it difficult wearing the number 9 shirt for The Arsenal."

Quote Originally Posted by redgunamo View Post
    My word! Didn't you people go to school?! Surely there was more than enough of that sort of thing about then!
    We didn't watch telly at school, reg. Coudn't hear the sound of a Katyusha Rocket or watch arrows advance on a map in a textbook.

Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
    We didn't watch telly at school, reg. Coudn't hear the sound of a Katyusha Rocket or watch arrows advance on a map in a textbook.
    Haha, no. I mean history and books and education and all of those things. I was full up of it all decades ago.
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

"But a lot have found it difficult wearing the number 9 shirt for The Arsenal."