Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Book reviewimb

Book reviewimb

This week, Magpie Murders, by Anthony Horowitz.

A book within a book, a murder mystery wrapped in a murder mystery, half Agatha Christie pastiche, half present day detective shenanigans. A rattling good yarn, a proper old fashioned whodunnit, and highly recommended. My only concern is that Mr Horowitz (who we suspect may be a jew except that's irrelevant of course except he's out with the rest of the foreigners after we've declared article 50 independence hurrah) has chosen to write our hero and narrator as a lady. I have nothing against ladies, of course, but Mr Horowitz is undoubtedly a man, and I'm unconvinced that he fully captures the female voice - perhaps he is in the gays and feels like a lady, but he isn't one, quite. (Do they have jews in the gays?) I have got over this mild difficulty by imagining that our protagonist is a transer.

Verdict: Recommended, get it while it's still winter, sit in front of the fire with a blankie over your knees and enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post

A book within a book, a murder mystery wrapped in a murder mystery, half Agatha Christie pastiche, half present day detective shenanigans. A rattling good yarn, a proper old fashioned whodunnit, and highly recommended. My only concern is that Mr Horowitz (who we suspect may be a jew except that's irrelevant of course except he's out with the rest of the foreigners after we've declared article 50 independence hurrah) has chosen to write our hero and narrator as a lady. I have nothing against ladies, of course, but Mr Horowitz is undoubtedly a man, and I'm unconvinced that he fully captures the female voice - perhaps he is in the gays and feels like a lady, but he isn't one, quite. (Do they have jews in the gays?) I have got over this mild difficulty by imagining that our protagonist is a transer.

Verdict: Recommended, get it while it's still winter, sit in front of the fire with a blankie over your knees and enjoy.
    You need to read this. In fact everyone, regardless of their stance on the issue, needs to read this.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01I9AEI...ng=UTF8&btkr=1

Well let's hope the author punctuates with a little more style than you c. Was this written on an old mobile phone perchance?
    Last edited by Herbette Chapman - aged 15; 02-02-2017 at 09:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Herbette Chapman - aged 15 View Post
    Well let's hope the author punctuates with a little mote style than you c. Was this written on an old mobile phone perchance?
    You didn't pick up on the delberate evocation of a stream of consciousness style, h?

No, I don't suppose you would.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    You need to read this. In fact everyone, regardless of their stance on the issue, needs to read this.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01I9AEI...ng=UTF8&btkr=1
    I've had it, I'm afraid. I'm finished with it all. Mentally battered and emotionally deadened. Brexit, Trump, politicians, the main stream media, the 'new' media, they can all continue without me.

I am repairing mentally to a fellside cottage to contemplate the seasons, the birds, the joys of nature.

Life is too short for all this bóllocks.

I've had it, I'm afraid. I'm finished with it all. Mentally battered and emotionally deadened. Brexit, Trump, politicians, the main stream media, the 'new' media, they can all continue without me.

I am repairing mentally to a fellside cottage to contemplate the seasons, the birds, the joys of nature.

I understand the instinct, but honestly, read it. It's a lot of fun apart from anything.

I understand the instinct, but honestly, read it. It's a lot of fun apart from anything.
    Oh ok then. :sigh: "Just when I thought I was out..."

Oh ok then. :sigh: "Just when I thought I was out..."
    Good man. If you don't like it, you can blame me.

Good man. If you don't like it, you can blame me.
    And will you be casting an eye over Mr Horowitz's latest?

About time too. I gave up on books and television and whatnot years ago; life is certainly too short to continue with the tyranny of listening to other people mouth off.

Listen to your heart instead, C. The world will be a better place for it.
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

"But a lot have found it difficult wearing the number 9 shirt for The Arsenal."