Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: BBC has lost the rights to the Olympics

Quote Originally Posted by PSRB View Post
    Winter Olympics is great, we're still quite crap at that......although a few decent medal chances this time round
    To be fair, our lack of snow is a major impediment to us being any good, isn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    To be fair, our lack of snow is a major impediment to us being any good, isn't it?
    Indoor proper snow slopes are helping, especially with all the modern "trick" events they've now added. We're still pretty crap at things like Downhill & Giant Slalom where you need a bit more than a 200m slope

Long track speed skating has always had me wondering why the Dutch are so good at it, where are these mammoth skating rinks that are required hidden away in the Netherlands?

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Vegas View Post
    the Winter Olympics will most likely lose the pro's in the ice hockey.
    it's going to be rubbish.
    They've been saying that for years, they always find a way round it

Indoor proper snow slopes are helping, especially with all the modern "trick" events they've now added. We're still pretty crap at things like Downhill & Giant Slalom where you need a bit more than a 200m slope

Long track speed skating has always had me wondering why the Dutch are so good at it, where are these mammoth skating rinks that are required hidden away in the Netherlands?
    Is it not a traditional thing with dutchers? Didn't they always used to skate along frozen dykes? I mean, I've never seen Sir C doing it, but he's half-Irish.

Is it not a traditional thing with dutchers? Didn't they always used to skate along frozen dykes? I mean, I've never seen Sir C doing it, but he's half-Irish.
    I'd love to see the Elfstedentocht. At one point in December it looked like it might happen, but sadly didn't.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elfstedentocht

Everyone skates in Holland, p. It's fúcking freezing in winter and they have canals everywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    I'd love to see the Elfstedentocht. At one point in December it looked like it might happen, but sadly didn't.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elfstedentocht
    Yes. I still find it amazing that The Thames used to freeze sufficiently for ice fairs. The Thames! It's fücking massive and tidal. It must have been proper brass monkey weather to do that back in the mini Ice Age.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Vegas View Post
    I quite like watching curling. it's relaxing.
    I had a go at Eisstockshiesen - a kind of German curling - a few weeks back. i was surprisingly good at it considering I was quite hammered. By good - I mean I didn't fall on my arse at all

Quote Originally Posted by Luis Anaconda View Post
    I had a go at Eisstockshiesen - a kind of German curling - a few weeks back. i was surprisingly good at it considering I was quite hammered. By good - I mean I didn't fall on my arse at all
    I'm getting a bit worried that you're going native, la. Have you started wondering thinking how much better it would be if Germany just took over everywhere else and taught them how to do it more efficiently, yet?

I'm getting a bit worried that you're going native, la. Have you started wondering thinking how much better it would be if Germany just took over everywhere else and taught them how to do it more efficiently, yet?
    Christ no - the efficiency is a myth (see building projects in Hamburg/Berlin for example - or even how they took three ****ing months just to put a new revolving door on our ****ing building).

Angela should be queen of everything of course though