Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 'It looked more mentally that we were not ready for the challenges'

'It looked more mentally that we were not ready for the challenges'

So how do we feel about that statement? Is it the first time we've heard that over the past 10 years or so?

Clearly, no team can be mentally prepared for every game, the players are human beings after all. But we play the league leaders on Saturday and we were 8 points back with the leaders away to Liverpool. Surely Shirley, the manager recognized the importance of the next two games and made sure the players did as well? How could they possibly have not been up for the game last night knowing what was at stake?

Or am I being harsh and this falls into the 'sometimes these things happen, it's a long season' category?

Quote Originally Posted by World's End Stella View Post
    So how do we feel about that statement? Is it the first time we've heard that over the past 10 years or so?

Clearly, no team can be mentally prepared for every game, the players are human beings after all. But we play the league leaders on Saturday and we were 8 points back with the leaders away to Liverpool. Surely Shirley, the manager recognized the importance of the next two games and made sure the players did as well? How could they possibly have not been up for the game last night knowing what was at stake?

Or am I being harsh and this falls into the 'sometimes these things happen, it's a long season' category?
    well since before the game he said the players were mentally prepared it shows he talks utter ****e at times
    Northern Monkey ... who can't upload a bleeding Avatar

"The players are prepared and mentally focused to deal with the challenges we will face." He said this at some point in the build up to the game, apparently. He has dementia.

Hang on. I thought our players had 'great mental strength'.

I am now confused.
    “Other clubs never came into my thoughts once I knew Arsenal wanted to sign me.”

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Goat Sverige View Post
    "The players are prepared and mentally focused to deal with the challenges we will face." He said this at some point in the build up to the game, apparently. He has dementia.
    Too many times this season we've not been at it for 45 minutes but that being said but for Gomez and Walcott missing 2 simple chances we'd have walked away with the points......a bit simplistic, i know

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Goat Sverige View Post
    I suppose dementia could be an answer, but it seems quite a dramatic conclusion to draw. He may just have been mistaken, you know.

Quote Originally Posted by IUFG View Post
    Hang on. I thought our players had 'great mental strength'.

I am now confused.
    what that means is we have been lucky on occasion.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Vegas View Post
    what that means is we have been lucky on occasion.
    The sad thing is that you expect us to have games like this 3 or 4 times a season...been happening for years and doesn't look like it will stop while AW is in charge. I believe his time is just about up and he should leave with his head held high at the end of the season
    Northern Monkey ... who can't upload a bleeding Avatar

I think the problem is that because Wenger believes his team are good enough footballistically, any failure must be attributed to mental failings.

Whether or not he's right is of course another matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Pokster View Post
    The sad thing is that you expect us to have games like this 3 or 4 times a season...been happening for years and doesn't look like it will stop while AW is in charge. I believe his time is just about up and he should leave with his head held high at the end of the season
    FA cup final against Hull was pretty lucky.

We got lucky with 2 wins against Burnley this season. Burnley have a right to be annoyed on both of those results.