Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Thread: Dylan Hartley to remain captain of England after clearly having a word with

Dylan Hartley to remain captain of England after clearly having a word with

Interesting 6 Nations coming up LA. England strong favourites but have to play Wales and Ireland away as I recall. I think it's potentially one of the most open championships in years. Only Italy look weak and even then I suspect Conor O'Shea will have them very hard to beat in Rome.

Quote Originally Posted by Lar d'Arse View Post
    Interesting 6 Nations coming up LA. England strong favourites but have to play Wales and Ireland away as I recall. I think it's potentially one of the most open championships in years. Only Italy look weak and even then I suspect Conor O'Shea will have them very hard to beat in Rome.
    Yep - though with the fixtures I would make Ireland slight favourites. Front row injuries could make England susceptible to France first up (and no Billy in the back row ), although we should have enough at Twickenham. Ireland, with Munster's and Leinster's form plus the last internationals look very very strong and with depth to the squad now (Sexton's fitness could be crucial though). Scotland will be tough, have the best balance that they have had in years. It's a Lions year so maybe the Welsh will pull something out but I think they look a bit past it at the moment. Should be a cracker

I am concerned Ireland will not be ready for what happens in Murrayfield (possibly with eyes on harder games to come) and if we lose there we will implode and probably get beaten by at least Wales and England also. Win in Scotland and without counting too many chickens I think our game in Cardiff becomes critical. Wales have often been the undoing of Irish championship hopes (and several English hopes too iirc). But as you say Sexton is playing like he has glass legs at the moment and we can't hope to win a championship if he isn't playing. Ditto Conor Murray. Not a poor injury record like Sexton's but the two half backs are the main if not only positions where our back up players are miles short of our first choices.

If it comes down to both Ireland and England going for the Grand Slam in Dublin on March 18, I think home advantage will favour us.

I would be more concerned about England's front row injuries than missing Billy V at No. 8. Nathan White is a very able replacement.

Quote Originally Posted by Lar d'Arse View Post
    I am concerned Ireland will not be ready for what happens in Murrayfield (possibly with eyes on harder games to come) and if we lose there we will implode and probably get beaten by at least Wales and England also. Win in Scotland and without counting too many chickens I think our game in Cardiff becomes critical. Wales have often been the undoing of Irish championship hopes (and several English hopes too iirc). But as you say Sexton is playing like he has glass legs at the moment and we can't hope to win a championship if he isn't playing. Ditto Conor Murray. Not a poor injury record like Sexton's but the two half backs are the main if not only positions where our back up players are miles short of our first choices.

If it comes down to both Ireland and England going for the Grand Slam in Dublin on March 18, I think home advantage will favour us.

I would be more concerned about England's front row injuries than missing Billy V at No. 8. Nathan White is a very able replacement.
    We do have a good replacement but I love watching Billy play. I was going to mention Murray being vital too but as you say, less likely to succumb to injury. Forgot it was Murrayfield first up - I seem to recall Ireland don't have a great record there (though checking shows 2015 was a record win).

Seemed to be something wrong with Wales in the autumn - whether they have rectified it or is it a case of Howley not being up to the job with a "lesser" team than he had last time, I don't know. Just have a hunch they may implode. Well, a hope. But we have had our fair share of disappointments there