Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I'm not really sure if Gina Miller et al will regard their Supreme Court thing as

I'm not really sure if Gina Miller et al will regard their Supreme Court thing as

money well spent, really.

After all, all it has achieved is to ensure there's a vote in Parliament (which the Government will win) and to clarify that there is no need to consult the devolved Parliaments (which will make SNP types cross and amuse the rest of us).

It was clearly conceived of at a time when it was imagined that Parliament might reverse Brexit - or at least water it down - and has been superseded by subsequent events.

All in all, it's basically proved to be a great way to pïss millions of quid in legal fees up the wall.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    money well spent, really.

After all, all it has achieved is to ensure there's a vote in Parliament (which the Government will win) and to clarify that there is no need to consult the devolved Parliaments (which will make SNP types cross and amuse the rest of us).

It was clearly conceived of at a time when it was imagined that Parliament might reverse Brexit - or at least water it down - and has been superseded by subsequent events.

All in all, it's basically proved to be a great way to pïss millions of quid in legal fees up the wall.
    I must admit, I did smile at the devolved Parliament thing. Bit ****ing cheeky of the NI one to threaten to derail everything when they really could doing with getting their own house in order

I'm happy with the devolved ruling. At least Adams will have less (no) influence on it. Brexit really has ruffled Sinn Fein feathers over here.

Quote Originally Posted by Luis Anaconda View Post
    I must admit, I did smile at the devolved Parliament thing. Bit ****ing cheeky of the NI one to threaten to derail everything when they really could doing with getting their own house in order
    I'm assuming Nicola Sturgeon has threatened a second independence referendum by now? It's her default response to pretty much everything, after all.

Quote Originally Posted by Norn Iron View Post
    I'm happy with the devolved ruling. At least Adams will have less (no) influence on it. Brexit really has ruffled Sinn Fein feathers over here.
    Presumably because they're worried a hard border would put a dent in their cross border smuggling and money laundering activities?

hopefully that's her 5 minutes done and dusted.

who the **** is the other chap? Deir dos Santos

heard he had gone into hiding because of the abuse...

Presumably because they're worried a hard border would put a dent in their cross border smuggling and money laundering activities?
    Never stopped them before so unlikely.

They still foolishly like to think of a united Ireland and perhaps saw the NI vote (or wish) to remain as part of the EU as somehow being an aid in this respect.

Quote Originally Posted by SWv2 View Post
    Never stopped them before so unlikely.

They still foolishly like to think of a united Ireland and perhaps saw the NI vote (or wish) to remain as part of the EU as somehow being an aid in this respect.
    No. Although having to run checkpoints would make it more of a challenge, I suppose.

Must admit I always thought it a rather strange idea that NI's loyalists would suddenly abandon 325 years of history and jump into the arms of Dublin just because the UK voted to leave the EU. Suggested people were either delusional or had very little idea of Irish history or political reality.

No. Although having to run checkpoints would make it more of a challenge, I suppose.

Must admit I always thought it a rather strange idea that NI's loyalists would suddenly abandon 325 years of history and jump into the arms of Dublin just because the UK voted to leave the EU. Suggested people were either delusional or had very little idea of Irish history or political reality.
    Foolish perhaps also to automatically assume every Catholic would vote for the united entity, some may look at economic factors for example and decide to swerve this mad wee country.

Quote Originally Posted by SWv2 View Post
    Foolish perhaps also to automatically assume every Catholic would vote for the united entity, some may look at economic factors for example and decide to swerve this mad wee country.
    Did you see yer man from Aslan on thon Late Late Show?

I must say, I'm a sucker for his voice. He looked relatively healthy, as well.