Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: I miss Nicosia. He was like a low ranking STASI functionary patrolling the

Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
    He was a genial old bloke, although he didn't take kindly, amongst other things, to Rafa Nadal being called a drugs cheat. I must defend him though against the "tight wee bubble" allegations. He often used to get a decent-sized round in that he would not recieve back, as he was driving.
    That was a throwaway comment as opposed to an out and out accusation.

Man you are like two peas in a pod.

Quote Originally Posted by SWv2 View Post
    That was a throwaway comment as opposed to an out and out accusation.

Man you are like two peas in a pod.
    Do you have a problem with peas, my friend?

Quote Originally Posted by redgunamo View Post
    I thought it was because he didn't speak-a the English so good. Anyway, so good as he needed to to make his points in writing, and that heightened his sensitivity and paranoia to acute status.
    Fvck you with your jokes! Nicosia was a better man than all of us. And we dragged him down, as we do anything beautiful.

It was this absolute refusal to even countenance a criticism of a player or Wenger that I found staggering.

A negative remark aimed at a club employee during a game I can understand would anger some, personally not a jot, but when one may write something at a random moment and still be sometimes aggressively challenged was bizarre. And then the oft used response of “so you think you know better than Wenger”. Of course I/we bloody well don’t but it does not restrict one from having an opinion.

We do of course have another contributor who will very often steer his debate down this silly route but will word his responses in a more structured and perhaps articulate manner, he being one of the Turks more frequent enemies. I expect the similarity between the two to be quite galling for him.

Thing is I have met the old man and even bought him a beverage (not sure the tight wee bubble reciprocated mind you) and he was a nice, genial old bloke. Harmless if I can say that in a completely non-condescending way.
    He was hardly alone though, was he? AWIMB back in the day became incredibly polarised by the Wenger/new stadium debate and hence there was endless conflict. I would argue that this was AWIMB at its finest, though. The conflict was fun, it was interesting, it brought the punters out and in the end the board was much better for it.

In fact, I would also argue that where AWIMB went wrong was the interference from 'the man' that allowed one of the sides to 'win'. It's never been the same since.

Quote Originally Posted by World's End Stella View Post
    In fact, I would also argue that where AWIMB went wrong was the interference from 'the man' that allowed one of the sides to 'win'. It's never been the same since.
    So basically when you were banned?

Quote Originally Posted by World's End Stella View Post
    He was hardly alone though, was he? AWIMB back in the day became incredibly polarised by the Wenger/new stadium debate and hence there was endless conflict. I would argue that this was AWIMB at its finest, though. The conflict was fun, it was interesting, it brought the punters out and in the end the board was much better for it.

People can get their conflict at the drop of a hat on twitter these days, though.

So basically when you were banned?
    He might mean Greg Mitchell.

Funnily enough, 10 years almost to the day, I had such a vicious row with greg mitchell I ended up phoning him to arrange to meet up and discuss it mano a mano

I believe we refer to him as 'He Who Must Not Be Named', a.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    ".............. a vicious row"
    You big ****ing spanner.