Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mayweather vs McGregor

Mayweather vs McGregor

Am I the only thinking that this isn't going to be the walk in the park Boxing fans expect?

It's that Connor is so much bigger, stronger and more powerful than Floyd that has me interested.

You got a guy that's walks around at 168 who can shrink down to Mayweather's size for the weigh ins and then rehydrate easily back up for the fight.

Mayweather walks around at 148 and weigh ins is 146.

That's a sizeable difference....a massive one imo

Got to be a problem....pretty sure too that Connor won't get phased by eating a few shots with those big gloves...it's not like MMA with those small gloves where 1 hit and you're out...these will be like getting hit with pillows.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony C View Post
    Am I the only thinking that this isn't going to be the walk in the park Boxing fans expect?

It's that Connor is so much bigger, stronger and more powerful than Floyd that has me interested.

You got a guy that's walks around at 168 who can shrink down to Mayweather's size for the weigh ins and then rehydrate easily back up for the fight.

Got to be a problem....pretty sure too that Connor won't get phased by eating a few shots with those big gloves...it's not like MMA with those small gloves where 1 hit and you're out...these will be like getting hit with pillows.
    Never going to happen is it, t? Mayweather too busy making a cock of himself as a promoter to fight again surely.

In other news - Stars missed a chance today. First baller for KP

Quote Originally Posted by Luis Anaconda View Post
    Never going to happen is it, t? Mayweather too busy making a cock of himself as a promoter to fight again surely.

In other news - Stars missed a chance today. First baller for KP
    I think it might happen but it's going to be difficult.

It's going to be hard for 2 people such as McGregor and Mayweather to agree on money then you have Mayweather the promoter v the UFC's Dana White. Then the rules need to be agreed.

I'd watch it out of curiosity but do people really want to see it? A boxer is a boxer and if a non boxer fights a boxer in a boxing match the boxer will most likely win.

What's next Arsenal v Boston Celtics?

Conor.

The whole thing is silly.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Vegas View Post
    I think it might happen but it's going to be difficult.

It's going to be hard for 2 people such as McGregor and Mayweather to agree on money then you have Mayweather the promoter v the UFC's Dana White. Then the rules need to be agreed.

I'd watch it out of curiosity but do people really want to see it? A boxer is a boxer and if a non boxer fights a boxer in a boxing match the boxer will most likely win.

What's next Arsenal v Boston Celtics?
    I quite like it when the Gaelic footballers take on the Aussie Rules teams - that's a laugh.

The rugby union v league thing a few years back was a bit of a farce though.

I have no real wish to see it - if I watch boxing I'd rather watch two quality fighters, not one non-boxer and a has-been

Think it's pretty much a done deal....just got to put pen to paper.

This is going to break all sorts of records and will be bigger than the Mayweather v Pacquio numbers so they're making a dam good job of building up a back story to get everyone at fever pitch.

On paper who the f**k cares about this fight - a retired boxer vs a mma fighter but you're dealing with two MASSIVE names so you take your time and build the interest even more.

For a mma fighter McGregor has smashed every PPV record for the UFC....1.5m buys for the demolition job on Eddie Alvarez....any of his next fights will bring home 1.3m plus. Add this Mayweather's stellar career and his marketability and you have a recipe for the biggest PPV of all time. the Pacquiao fight was 4.5m buys. So the aim is 5m PLUS here.

There's absolutely ZERO chance of MONEY Mayweather turning his back on this...ZERO. With those potential numbers floating about he's hooked big time.

Within this there's the element of fees for each fighter...with interest that high and record PPV haul on the horizon both fighters are correct to take the stance they've taken.

Mayweather wants 100m USD but you have to give McGregor his dues and give him a reasonable amount...the early 10m USD was a joke.

Also according to Dana White (and this was interesting for me) is that he said he would build a card around the fight similar to UFC event at MSG which was just stacked.

I'm guessing Cody Gambrandt vs Max Hollaway for the bantamweight title would be one, Holly Holm (former dual Boxing World Champion) vs Amanda Nunes in a champion vs champion super fight and maybe Fabricio Werdum vs Cain Velasquez for the Heavy Weight Title and to get the Mexicans / Latinos excited.

Also wouldn't rule another return for Brock Lesnar.

So I'll expect some seriously high profile fights to stack the card.

won't be like a typical boxing event where people turn up for the main event only because the undercard absolute garbage....this fight card will make more money people than you can imagine and at the end of the days that's all it's really about isn't it.

PS

LOL @ Kevin Peterson

Stars never got going today.

Had a bet on the Heat during the interval...they were 4/7 to win it....I guess people thought they would stuggle on the wicket like the Stars did.

--

Tell you who I'm liking - the Renegades. I know they let 220 slip the other day but they still have a very decent team and now they're forced to win games to qualify they might just have the momentum. Next up is the Heat in a win @ all costs game.

11/1 on betfair? I've seen stranger stuff in T20 like the weekend Trinidad won the Caribbean Premier League...they played in an eliminator match on the Friday night, won that, played in the Semi Final on the Saturday night, won that and then won the final on the Sunday afternoon....all after looking absolutely abysmal in their opening matches.

11/1 is big with players a decent batsman like Finch as captain and probably the best spin bowler in the world (Sunil Narine) in your team....actually Narine has been unplayable this Big Bash so they just need the other bowlers to back him up.

Think it's pretty much a done deal....just got to put pen to paper.

This is going to break all sorts of records and will be bigger than the Mayweather v Pacquio numbers so they're making a dam good job of building up a back story to get everyone at fever pitch.

On paper who the f**k cares about this fight - a retired boxer vs a mma fighter but you're dealing with two MASSIVE names so you take your time and build the interest even more.

For a mma fighter McGregor has smashed every PPV record for the UFC....1.5m buys for the demolition job on Eddie Alvarez....any of his next fights will bring home 1.3m plus. Add this Mayweather's stellar career and his marketability and you have a recipe for the biggest PPV of all time. the Pacquiao fight was 4.5m buys. So the aim is 5m PLUS here.

There's absolutely ZERO chance of MONEY Mayweather turning his back on this...ZERO. With those potential numbers floating about he's hooked big time.

Within this there's the element of fees for each fighter...with interest that high and record PPV haul on the horizon both fighters are correct to take the stance they've taken.

Mayweather wants 100m USD but you have to give McGregor his dues and give him a reasonable amount...the early 10m USD was a joke.

Also according to Dana White (and this was interesting for me) is that he said he would build a card around the fight similar to UFC event at MSG which was just stacked.

I'm guessing Cody Gambrandt vs Max Hollaway for the bantamweight title would be one, Holly Holm (former dual Boxing World Champion) vs Amanda Nunes in a champion vs champion super fight and maybe Fabricio Werdum vs Cain Velasquez for the Heavy Weight Title and to get the Mexicans / Latinos excited.

Also wouldn't rule another return for Brock Lesnar.

So I'll expect some seriously high profile fights to stack the card.

won't be like a typical boxing event where people turn up for the main event only because the undercard absolute garbage....this fight card will make more money people than you can imagine and at the end of the days that's all it's really about isn't it.
    What are the terms of the fight? Is it in the ring or in the cage? Don't see Mayweather prevailing if it's all that kick stuff. What does he know about that?

How is having to make weight an advantage for McGregor?? I think you've got this the wrong way round.
    If he's naturally heavier and has to trim down to make weight he loses energy and power? Seems like a disadvantage to me.

But then I know nothing about Boxing so I could be wrong.

It will be a boxing match....McGregor would pretty much kill him if it was a MMA fight.

The interesting aspect would be what size gloves would they wear...smaller ones to suit MCGregor or the big ones to nullify his power and also help protect Mayweather's hands (brittle fingers and regularly breaks them during fights).