Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: There's a quite extraordinary amount of weeping, wailing and gnashing of teeth going

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

There's a quite extraordinary amount of weeping, wailing and gnashing of teeth going

on comment pages and social media this morning at the outlandish suggestion that the Prime Minister is going to announce that we're actually going to do what people voted for in June.

Odd lot, people, aren't they?

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    on comment pages and social media this morning at the outlandish suggestion that the Prime Minister is going to announce that we're actually going to do what people voted for in June.

Odd lot, people, aren't they?
    There's something else very odd about this. The government has clearly briefed the press that this is the statement of strategy for the forthcoming negotiations, the results of which negotiations are likely to have a serious impact upon the UK.

Should the prime minister not be issuing such a statement to, you know, the House of Commons, which is, like, where our parliamentary democracy happens? Choosing to make the statement in a speech is bad enough, but then leaking the fúcking thing to the press 48 hours before the event if fúcking repulsive.

I am distressed.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    There's something else very odd about this. The government has clearly briefed the press that this is the statement of strategy for the forthcoming negotiations, the results of which negotiations are likely to have a serious impact upon the UK.

Should the prime minister not be issuing such a statement to, you know, the House of Commons, which is, like, where our parliamentary democracy happens? Choosing to make the statement in a speech is bad enough, but then leaking the fúcking thing to the press 48 hours before the event if fúcking repulsive.

I am distressed.
    Nah. All policy and negotiating positions are first unveiled in speeches these days rather than the HoC. The press leak is pretty standard practice to get the markets' bedwetting out of the way and let them settle down before the actual speech is given.

Currently reading 'All Out War' by Tim Shipman about the Brexit campaign. Pretty much every important policy item in the run-up to that was given at an external speech. Cameron announced the fact he was going to hold a referendum at a speech to Bloomberg, ffs!

Nah. All policy and negotiating positions are first unveiled in speeches these days rather than the HoC. The press leak is pretty standard practice to get the markets' bedwetting out of the way and let them settle down before the actual speech is given.

Currently reading 'All Out War' by Tim Shipman about the Brexit campaign. Pretty much every important policy item in the run-up to that was given at an external speech. Cameron announced the fact he was going to hold a referendum at a speech to Bloomberg, ffs!
    It happening as a matter of course these days does not make it right.

I am not happy with the cabinet, b. Not happy at all. Cameron and Osborne were distressingly limp, but at least they appeared statesmanlike. This lot are a bunch of chancers and wide boys and May is quite clearly way out of her depth.

At the next election I shall vite Lib Dem, or perhaps Green.

It happening as a matter of course these days does not make it right.

I am not happy with the cabinet, b. Not happy at all. Cameron and Osborne were distressingly limp, but at least they appeared statesmanlike. This lot are a bunch of chancers and wide boys and May is quite clearly way out of her depth.

At the next election I shall vite Lib Dem, or perhaps Green.
    You will vote for traitors and communists because a tory government isn't composed exactly as you'd like? That seems an odd way to go about things.

You will vote for traitors and communists because a tory government isn't composed exactly as you'd like? That seems an odd way to go about things.
    It's my protest. I'd go with UKIP but they're so incredibly vulgar.

I am distressed.
    you guys don't have a democracy. you're a fvcking monarchy, dumbasses.

Quote Originally Posted by eastgermanautos View Post
    you guys don't have a democracy. you're a fvcking monarchy, dumbasses.
    And you believe the two to be mutually exclusive why, exactly?

And you believe the two to be mutually exclusive why, exactly?
    Push comes to shove, you can just suspend the democratic norms and revert to your monarch. You don't have your last quid on a functioning democratic system. It's a "late innovation," to borrow from Hamlet.

Quote Originally Posted by eastgermanautos View Post
    Push comes to shove, you can just suspend the democratic norms and revert to your monarch. You don't have your last quid on a functioning democratic system. It's a "late innovation," to borrow from Hamlet.
    Right. Like Lincoln did during the Civil War, you mean?