Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: There's a quite extraordinary amount of weeping, wailing and gnashing of teeth going

There's a quite extraordinary amount of weeping, wailing and gnashing of teeth going

on comment pages and social media this morning at the outlandish suggestion that the Prime Minister is going to announce that we're actually going to do what people voted for in June.

Odd lot, people, aren't they?

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    on comment pages and social media this morning at the outlandish suggestion that the Prime Minister is going to announce that we're actually going to do what people voted for in June.

There's something else very odd about this. The government has clearly briefed the press that this is the statement of strategy for the forthcoming negotiations, the results of which negotiations are likely to have a serious impact upon the UK.

Should the prime minister not be issuing such a statement to, you know, the House of Commons, which is, like, where our parliamentary democracy happens? Choosing to make the statement in a speech is bad enough, but then leaking the fúcking thing to the press 48 hours before the event if fúcking repulsive.

I am distressed.

Where do you stand on the suggestion that a second referendum on the terms agreed in the event of a Brexit vote should have been incorporated by Cameron?

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    There's something else very odd about this. The government has clearly briefed the press that this is the statement of strategy for the forthcoming negotiations, the results of which negotiations are likely to have a serious impact upon the UK.

Should the prime minister not be issuing such a statement to, you know, the House of Commons, which is, like, where our parliamentary democracy happens? Choosing to make the statement in a speech is bad enough, but then leaking the fúcking thing to the press 48 hours before the event if fúcking repulsive.

I am distressed.
    Nah. All policy and negotiating positions are first unveiled in speeches these days rather than the HoC. The press leak is pretty standard practice to get the markets' bedwetting out of the way and let them settle down before the actual speech is given.

Currently reading 'All Out War' by Tim Shipman about the Brexit campaign. Pretty much every important policy item in the run-up to that was given at an external speech. Cameron announced the fact he was going to hold a referendum at a speech to Bloomberg, ffs!

Quote Originally Posted by Monty92 View Post
    Where do you stand on the suggestion that a second referendum on the terms agreed in the event of a Brexit vote should have been incorporated by Cameron?
    It makes no sense at all. We voted on the relatively simple issue of how we are governed and by whom. A vote on the details of our exit would be absurd as it would render all negotiations meaningless. Besides which, it would be hijacked by Remain as a means of indefinitely delaying our exit.

Nah. All policy and negotiating positions are first unveiled in speeches these days rather than the HoC. The press leak is pretty standard practice to get the markets' bedwetting out of the way and let them settle down before the actual speech is given.

Currently reading 'All Out War' by Tim Shipman about the Brexit campaign. Pretty much every important policy item in the run-up to that was given at an external speech. Cameron announced the fact he was going to hold a referendum at a speech to Bloomberg, ffs!
    It happening as a matter of course these days does not make it right.

I am not happy with the cabinet, b. Not happy at all. Cameron and Osborne were distressingly limp, but at least they appeared statesmanlike. This lot are a bunch of chancers and wide boys and May is quite clearly way out of her depth.

At the next election I shall vite Lib Dem, or perhaps Green.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    It happening as a matter of course these days does not make it right.

I am not happy with the cabinet, b. Not happy at all. Cameron and Osborne were distressingly limp, but at least they appeared statesmanlike. This lot are a bunch of chancers and wide boys and May is quite clearly way out of her depth.

At the next election I shall vite Lib Dem, or perhaps Green.
    You will vote for traitors and communists because a tory government isn't composed exactly as you'd like? That seems an odd way to go about things.

Quote Originally Posted by Monty92 View Post
    Don't be silly.

Terms are decided upon by party 1 and then discussed at length and compromise reached on some issues, some dropped altogether, others won.

The idea of allowing the people to decide the finite terms of agreement is imbecilic even by your extremely high standards.

In summary you were stupid enough to allow this vote/referendum to go to the people but it has and now you have to roll with the decision. Those who do not like it and who are questioning it are simply the adult equivalent of a toddler having a tantrum because they did not get their way.

Quote Originally Posted by SWv2 View Post
    Don't be silly.

Terms are decided upon by party 1 and then discussed at length and compromise reached on some issues, some dropped altogether, others won.

The idea of allowing the people to decide the finite terms of agreement is imbecilic even by your extremely high standards.

In summary you were stupid enough to allow this vote/referendum to go to the people but it has and now you have to roll with the decision. Those who do not like it and who are questioning it are simply the adult equivalent of a toddler having a tantrum because they did not get their way.
    I think most of them are upset because they won't be able to freely gallivant around europe on their British passports any longer.

You will vote for traitors and communists because a tory government isn't composed exactly as you'd like? That seems an odd way to go about things.
    It's my protest. I'd go with UKIP but they're so incredibly vulgar.