Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Reading The Times thing with Trump this morning, it becomes clear that The Donald is

Quote Originally Posted by Monty92 View Post
    Of course, but articulacy is not everything. If someone is a poor speaker, their pre-prepared thoughts are likely to be a better reflection of their actual thoughts than what they say on the hoof.
    When you say, 'pre-prepared', I assume you mean, 'prepared'?

Did you hear Corbyn last week in almost the same breath both mock the '£350m for the NHS' Leaver promise while also pledging that he would redistribute EU cash to the NHS post Brexit.

And yet his overall performance was so bad this staggering double standard was barely even commented upon.
    Last week was one of my Corbyn high points. Undermining the only two policies of his own relaunch in the space of a few hours was comedy gold. He actually seems to be getting worse. Also, he and Labour in general have managed to fück up Brexit so badly as to have rendered themselves irrelevant on the single biggest political issue of the last 70 years. Quite an achievement.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    I don't think it's nice to mock Monty's stutter like that.

Of course, but articulacy is not everything. If someone is a poor speaker, their pre-prepared thoughts are likely to be a better reflection of their actual thoughts than what they say on the hoof.
    The ability to communicate ideas quickly and effectively is usually considered quite a key attribute in anyone in an executive position, though, you'd have thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    The ability to communicate ideas quickly and effectively is usually considered quite a key attribute in anyone in an executive position, though, you'd have thought.
    Of course. My only point is that he's not actually the unmitigated dunce that you may assume when listening to him speak off the cuff.

The difficulties this may or may not cause him in office is another matter.

https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/de...on/pre-prepare

As opposed to preparing something after the event?

Dictonionaries appear to be run by communists these days and have lost all credibility, allowing wrong to be right as long as enough people do it.

Of course. My only point is that he's not actually the unmitigated dunce that you may assume when listening to him speak off the cuff.

The difficulties this may or may not cause him in office is another matter.
    Don't get me wrong. While I think he's pretty intellectually limited, a monstrous egotist, a braggart, vain, petty, vindictive and a tremendous vulgarian, I don't see these as necessarily bad things per se. Indeed, I think them ingredients in what promises to be an enormously entertaining next few years.
    What really interests me is whether if - as I suspect it will - the United States comes through his Presidency just fine or even better off, will this lead people to question just how important who happens to be President actually is?

As opposed to preparing something after the event?

Dictonionaries appear to be run by communists these days and have lost all credibility, allowing wrong to be right as long as enough people do it.
    I would also point out that that's not a proper dictionary.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    Well yes, but how one speaks off the cuff is surely a rather better indicator of one's overall articulacy than reading prepared remarks?
    As a well respected political writer* once observed B, "A man's oratory is a window to his intellect." It's how we can be certain that Obama was a truly great man. This Trump fella seems indistinguishable from any of the other mahoosive cvnts one encounters in this life.

*me