Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Reading The Times thing with Trump this morning, it becomes clear that The Donald is

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    I would also point out that that's not a proper dictionary.
    I'm going to always spell dictonionary like this and see how long it takes to become acceptable by usage. Useage perhaps. I can't be arsed looking it up in a dictonionary.

Quote Originally Posted by Herbette Chapman - aged 15 View Post
    As a well respected political writer* once observed B, "A man's oratory is a window to his intellect." It's how we can be certain that Obama was a truly great man. This Trump fella seems indistinguishable from any of the other mahoosive cvnts one encounters in this life.

*me
    Obama had superficial charm, charisma and the brains to to know that his best chance of getting re-elected was to make bleeding heart white liberals feel good about themselves for voting for a black fella, but none of those things makes him a great man.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    I'm going to always spell dictonionary like this and see how long it takes to become acceptable by usage. Useage perhaps. I can't be arsed looking it up in a dictonionary.
    Talking of which, I see The Guardian is making a bold bid to change the spelling of Independent

https://twitter.com/27khv/status/820781519383961600

I would also point out that that's not a proper dictionary.
    I think the clue here is when a definition of the madey-up* word is basically the word you should have used in the first place.

*yes that's a word... probably

Talking of which, I see The Guardian is making a bold bid to change the spelling of Independent

https://twitter.com/27khv/status/820781519383961600
    What a truly shockingly tuppeny-halfpenny rag that newspaper is.

Quote Originally Posted by Luis Anaconda View Post
    I think the clue here is when a definition of the madey-up* word is basically the word you should have used in the first place.

*yes that's a word... probably
    Yes, although I think for most of us, the addition of a prefix to a word that already has that prefix in it probably started the alarm bells ringing.

Don't get me wrong. While I think he's pretty intellectually limited, a monstrous egotist, a braggart, vain, petty, vindictive and a tremendous vulgarian, I don't see these as necessarily bad things per se. Indeed, I think them ingredients in what promises to be an enormously entertaining next few years.
    What really interests me is whether if - as I suspect it will - the United States comes through his Presidency just fine or even better off, will this lead people to question just how important who happens to be President actually is?
    Indeed. Although legacy is in the eye of the (often partisan) beholder.

As a tangential example, we now know that a Tory politician saying that jobs for Brits should be prioritised can now be officially classified as a ‘hate’ incident. So whatever Theresa May achieves as PM, there will be those who point out that ‘hate’ crimes spiked under her leadership.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    What a truly shockingly tuppeny-halfpenny rag that newspaper is.
    They haven't even published anything lately that made me laugh out loud at their lunacy. Surely they must realise that the only reason many people read the thing at all is in order to mock?

Yes, although I think for most of us, the addition of a prefix to a word that already has that prefix in it probably started the alarm bells ringing.
    Just to clarify, would that be a prefix or a pre-prefix?

Quote Originally Posted by Monty92 View Post
    Indeed. Although legacy is in the eye of the (often partisan) beholder.

As a tangential example, we now know that a Tory politician saying that jobs for Brits should be prioritised can now be officially classified as a ‘hate’ incident. So whatever Theresa May achieves as PM, there will be those who point out that ‘hate’ crimes spiked under her leadership.
    Luckily, the left fails to learn the lesson from its effective neutering of the term 'racist' through overuse. 'Hate crime' will soon go the same way, as everyone just stops believing in the idea. And rightly so. A disgusting and nakedly Orwellian term that presumes motive and prioritises it over action. Ugh.